Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George III Halfpenny - PMD? Rusty Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 189Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
785 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Details better at hand, the unusual marks seem very sharp and unlike ones affected by corrosion that I have seen before. Rusty dies? Most likely not, but want to hear your thoughts on this one

BTW, I used a flash with this picture. Coin isn't plated or such. Under natural light its chocolate brown.

My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
Edited by molydeii
04/22/2021 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4840 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PSD of some sort. Die rust couldn't produce deep pits like that, and I also see some displaced metal at the edge.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56645 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, ED of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
785 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PSD is same as Post Mint Damage, PMD? Meaning it's just damage of some sort after coin was struck? Wondering what might have caused this deep pitting
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18418 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, the pitting was caused by verdigris, seems to have been cleared out and passivated.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
785 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel_69l : yes! This sounds quite a reasonable explanation.
Learn More...
Australia
13594 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rust on a die would create a hole or depression in the die, which would in turn create raised patches on the resultant coin.

What's happened here is "spot corrosion". The coin develops a mostly adequate oxide layer that prevents corrosion, but a couple of "holes" in the layer allowed damage to occur when the coin was subsequently placed in a corrosive environment (eg. buried in acidic soil).

The coin was then chemically cleaned, dissolving the corrosion but leaving "pits" where the corrosion used to be.

You can see some before-and-after pics of some very similar damage on a coin I cleaned in this old thread.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05