Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 John Wayne Lincoln

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,405Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Duke or Gacy?!?!
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshA113n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not the slightest idea how it may have happened but I know what I see and the only explanation is what what I described. If someone would explain why that is impossible I would listen, but just saying I'm wrong and joking when I can see everything clearly up to 1200 times magnification only leads to more questions
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Explaining how it is impossible is easy. The minting process is a straight forward, well documented, relatively simple manufacturing process. Each step is well known, and there is just nowhere in the process where this could even possibly be explainable. The minting process just isn't some mysterious secret operation where unexplainable things happen. PCGS would be glad to get your money, just be sure it is money you are willing to throw away.
Edited by lcutler
04/25/2021 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can think of three hypothetical ways a 1969-D LMC could end up with the features of an 1857 large cent:

1. A mint employee painstakingly engraved the die with these features, yet somehow no other coins struck by it have turned up.
2. An 1857 large cent was cut down to the size of a small cent and used as a planchet.
3. An 1857 large cent die was reengraved 112 years later, and again, none of the other coins struck by it have turned up.

Consider how astronomically ridiculous these theories are, and combine that with the fact that none of the rest of us see what you claim to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
Pillar of the Community
United States
7216 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As has been stated...pareidolia. Please look it up. It easily explains what you are convinced you are seeing.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshA113n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really not trying to sound argumentative and definitely not thinking I know more than y'all but you are failing to acknowledge one other known fact. In order to cut corners and save money throughout history governments have restruck coins no longer in circulation instead of melting them. And considering everything else I know about the era specially the year I would put it past them. Though it may be unlikely it's not completely impossible and the fact that all eight of my 69s exhibit the same markings from the large Cent tells me enough. I can go as far as saying that I can prove that the design of each coin was done in a way to conceal the design from the previous coin, and if you investigate that you can see the same thing.
Edited by JoshA113n
04/25/2021 6:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are you sure that that is the top of a star on Abe's jacket and not a crenulated gouge from the impact of a reeded coin's edge?

Yes, that's what the "star" is!

Quote:
If someone would explain why that is impossible I would listen,

Well I guess nothing is "Impossible" - but with this coin it's more like "Improbable"

EDIT:

Quote:
In order to cut corners and save money throughout history governments have restruck coins no longer in circulation instead of melting them.

When has the US Government ever tried saving money?
Edited by Rothery
04/25/2021 6:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
820 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John Wayne mark coins do not exist. Simple. The only one done it is the Perth Mint it is 1 oz. silver and had the hat of the actor on.

This name must be given by one of those numerous sellers on e-Bay or somewhere ells. It is nothing, Just spend.

@ Josh; If you believe OK, but what we believe and is true? could be long way.
Edited by silviosi
04/25/2021 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, at least you are finally saying what you think may have happened. Even in the 1960's large cents were worth a dollar or so each, so the mint uses coins worth 2 dollars instead of new blank planchets that cost less than a cent? Also your "star" in the field to the left of Lincoln has a raised edge, if this was on the coin previous to it being struck it would have flattened it. Oh well, the best you can do is submit it to one of the major professional graders. Then you can choose to believe them when they tell you it is not what you think or submit it to one of the others. Come back and let us know how you make out.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshA113n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually deemed the coin john Wayne for reasons unannounced. I've acquired every Lincoln produced except 3 so I had to stare at every single coin then spend days turning and flipping coins to bring me to this conclusion but here I arrived.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshA113n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't have to believe my word but you can't disagree with evidence

Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JoshA113n All's everyone is seeing is a Damaged worn coin with the possibility of a Die Clash. As to the Star its just a contact mark from god knows what. It's a spender. Tell me what you see in this coin that makes it worth 2,500.00 and I might buy it. HUMMMMMM https://www.ebay.com/itm/294141938270 P.S. Send it to PCGS and if it comes back in a slab as to what your saying it is I'LL PAY FOR THE GRADING AND SLAB FEES.
Edited by Daves Errors
04/25/2021 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bring it back in a slab, I'll be the first to apologize and congratulate you. Good luck.
Learn More...
United States
19525 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really glad that so far everyone has been able to keep this discussion civil, despite the difference of opinion. Well done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 1,405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05