Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Wheat Penny Obverse Strike Thru

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 329Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey it's been awhile since I have posted to this forum but you all are my go to group when my personal research has failed me. Just a little context to the coin here. My wife's grandfather just passed and we found an old wine bottle full of wheat pennies he had in his closet since he was drafted to Vietnam. In there I found this little copper beauty but I would like to hear your thoughts whether you believe it is a strike thru or not. I personally lean to believe it is a strike thru of tape judging by what looks like a thread pattern. What are your thoughts?

Learn More...
United States
19525 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@air, that is a meaningful find and thx for sharing. Are you sure that these two patches aren't clear, dried glue that has a patterned surface?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aircraftmech01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm honestly not for sure, I was wondering if there was a way to test it or some sort of dead give a way. the thread pattern seems to cover a lot of the face of it. I've not tried to scratch it off or anything in fear that I would damage the coin. I was wondering if it was glued to a kids piece of artwork or something a long time ago but there doesn't seem to be any residual paper or glue anywhere else on the coin. As a side note when running my fingers over it, it doesn't seem to have a glue like texture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1714 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like tape residue from when it was secured to a folder then removed after years of the tape drying out.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn, that makes perfect sense.

Mechanic, soak it in pure acetone for awhile. If it's glue it will come off pretty easy. Glue can be very deceptive when it's on coins and has fooled a lot of people.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58122 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, and acetone soak would be a good idea.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51597 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of the older amber school glue they used back then. If had the flexible rubber tip at the top. Probably what they used on it back then.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39404 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an adhesive of some sort "on" the coin. Acetone might remove it or not if it is epoxy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If acetone doesn't do it try water. Might be water based glue.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05