Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Fun One For The Error Folks. (1974 Capped Die Strikes)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 516Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:31 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is one for the error folks to do some heavier thinking...

These two coins are mint state, and obviously struck by the same capped reverse die. You can tell in some places, that cap is thin, and the hammer die elements are getting through the cap by indirect die transfer (in hand with light angles, trust me, these are both 1974). In other places, the cap is a bit mangled, and other elements are being struck onto the host planchet. That said, it does not necessarily mean these are consecutive strikes, there could have been a coin or two struck in-between these coins, we'll really never know.

The fun question is... which coin was struck first, and what are you basing your interpretation upon? Going to PCGS will give you high resolution images, but not the answer!

I'll let this thread run for a bit, before giving my interpretation. Lastly, I did have these mounted in a cool PCGS double slab, it presents really nicely!

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The aforementioned double slab.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat pair, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
which coin was struck first, and what are you basing your interpretation upon?

I'm not especially confident, but I'll go with the first since most of the details are mushier. I'm also seeing some die cap irregularities that appear to have progressed between the strikes (the lines off the beaver's nose and whatever's happening on the rim at 6:30).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1842 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top coin struck first. No doubt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58221 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but I think the bottom one was struck 1st because it has fewer transfers of "5 CENTS".
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom one first - the small arc at the bottom of the reverse looks freshly made; on the top one, it's less noticeable and has been more flattened into the rest of the coin.
Slightly more detail in the CANADA/date impression.
Edited by TerryT
04/26/2021 5:19 pm
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SN x321 was struck first (first coin).

The queen silhouette is more evident on the first coin. Just take a look below 5 and the S of CENTS. The queen crown is still evident. Not yet flattened.

Metal flow though the thinner cap extend farther on the second coin.
Edited by SP67
04/27/2021 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1842 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for the answer IMO look at the beavers butt.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 516Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05