Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

May 2021 - RCM Release

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 3,700Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Canada
917 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tender4848

Go to TSC and you can get an Avro Arrow coin.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rammble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney

Thanks so much for the info!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5716 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the Special Edition Proof Set will become the future vehicle for bringing back the Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) version of the annual silver dollar (SD)?

I, for one, was disappointed when it was dropped from the lineup a few years back and would welcome its return.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5716 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This was my own design, 13 coins in the frame....

@Tender4848: It's a very nice, balanced design. I think it all works very well! Congrats!

One thing, maybe it's my eyes, but I only see 11 coins vs. 13.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
497 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New May RCM coins are now available on TSC.

gatewestcoin has the New May release in stock as well.

I managed to pickup these coins from TSC.

1= 2021 $20 SPARKLE OF THE HEART GENUINE CANADIAN DIAMOND FINE SILVER COIN
2- 2021 $50 AVRO ARROW FINE SILVER COIN WITH SELECTIVE GOLD PLATING
3- 2020 $25 PURE SILVER COIN CLASSIC MOUNTIE HAT
4- 2021 $20 PURE SILVER COIN AVRO ARROW
5- 2021 SPECIAL EDITION PROOF SET 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF BLUENOSE

With 6 easy pays and $28.80 cash back.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Edited by jimper
05/04/2021 09:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
917 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jimper

Congrats on getting all the coins. I managed to pick up another Avro Arrow 5 ounce coin as well.
Learn More...
Canada
9667 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pre-ordered the silver 2oz $30 Manitoba 150 coin, only because of its connection to the nickel dollar.

The real question is, will the 2021 issue celebrating BC's 150th reflect the nickel or silver cased dollar?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5716 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that the May coins can be viewed by all, I have a few comments and a question.

Comments
1. I find it surprising/disappointing that it is May 2021 and the monthly release includes two coins that are back-dated to 2020 - the Manitoba $30 silver coin and the $25 gold-plated silver Mountie Hat coin. It seems late in 2021 to be relasing 2020 commemorative coins.

2. It makes little sense to me to create a commemorative piece for the 1936 Dot 10-cent coin in gold. The original coin was silver. I can understand the RCM not wanting to issue a silver coin at the same size as the original, so - like they've done for multiple other coins - they could have issued a larger-format version but kept the original design. Such a silver piece would have been far more accessible to most collectors. The RCM could have also made the high-priced gold version, but they should have also made a lower-cost silver version (IMO).

3. I just can't get my mind to accept the Mountie Hat piece as a coin. More power to those who enjoy collecting such pieces, I'm not being negative toward such collecting preferences. I'm simply saying that to me, personally, the piece falls so far outside of what I understand a coin to be, that I have great difficulty seeing it as such.

Question
Why was 2021 selected as the year to issue coins commemorating the Avro? The year is not a significant milestone anniversary for the jet. Was it issued simply because the RCM believed it would sell well? Thoughts? Insights? (FWIW: I think the design selected for the 5-ounce Avro coin is particularly nice!)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all - hope you're all well.

Commems -
Clearly, the Mint has had production issues in the past year or so because of you know what. Is it possible the 2020 dated items for this months release is simply a backlog stemming from production restrictions and nothing more.

As for the 1936 Dot 10-cent release - there is clearly a deep-pocketed niche crowd that gobbles up such gold coins and the Mint is catering to their needs. Depending on feedback demand the silver edition of this famous coin theme could be coming.

On the Mountie Hat - I can't see it any other way as you do...but cheers to all who love that sort of concept. There was the Remembrance soldier helmet released a few years back as you know which I found more appealing.

On the Avro Arrow - there is a great deal of analysis and interpretations to be had for this theme. Not sure where one could begin. If one does some basic research, the story around the Avro has not gone away. Conceived in the early 50s, constructed and successfully tested in 1958, and then scrapped by a conservative led government in 1959. And, not just scrapped but literally chopped up for scrap. There isn't any one properly preserved anywhere. There are some pieces on display in some museums. But not one was saved fully intact which is a real head scratcher to this day. What were the so called 'experts" thinking in this regard? The discussion about this project never ends and with this release more will be generated now.

Is this just another political opportunity being exploited by releasing this theme at this time? Or, was it another theme that may have seen the light last year but got pushed up to 2021? In 1961, the Canadian conservative government elected to purchase US made jets that filled the role of the scrapped Avro. So perhaps its commemorating that specific historical connection. The public backlash for scrapping this state of the art jet eventually led to the conservative government's downfall in 1963.
As for the spectacular design - any aviation buff will love this design. It truly conveys the Mach 2 speed threshold that this jet was capable of reaching as a interceptor military plane.

Judging by other comments, there will likely be a strong demand for this item.
Valued Member
Canada
460 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with comments above on the 2020 dates for the coins 5 months into the year. I had commented earlier that it would be nice to see what is coming, but this is even more pointed for coins that are 5 months late on issue.

Quote:
there is clearly a deep-pocketed niche crowd that gobbles up such gold coins
Not this time. The 2 gold coins with mintages of 550 and 500 are still available 2 days after general release... Maybe the RCM has hit the threshold for price point. At $4,200 it is 83% above the intrinsic value (Gold Maple Leaf) and I don't believe folks are prepared to pay that amount of a surcharge on top of an already expensive base for design and proof finish... They probably will sell out but they aren't flying off the shelves as they have in the past.

This time around, I liked the 5oz Silver Avro, the 1oz Gold Ramming Sheep and the Special Edition Dollar Set. I only purchased the Special Edition Dollar Set as the NCLT premium is a bit rich for me on the higher value items... I will be very happy though if this marks the return of the BU Silver Dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes - 83% above the intrinsic value - is definitely hitting the high ceiling mark. Maybe somebody at the Mint knows something about where inflation is heading soon?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2801 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the Avro Arrow 5oz coin a commissioned coin because there is plenty of stock at dealers. Canada Post has it. CC&C and TSC has it. Gatewest Coin has a limit of 5 coins. If the coin is so rare, surely Gatewest would have not have such a high limit.

I believe the reason why the RCM sold out so fast they must have a small allotment of the 5 oz Avro Arrow coin. For example, if their allotment is 200-300 coins, that would guarantee a quick sell out.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also only purchased the special edition proof set. Love the BU version of the dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how many Avros are at TSC, but I just placed an order, and it was accepted. Here's hoping . (Tuesday Afternoon, 3pm)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
917 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Avro is also available at Canada Post and Gatewest.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 3,700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05