Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

May 2021 - RCM Release

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 5,689Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Electrum: Thanks for jumping in...I always appreciate a good coin discussion!

I agree that the pandemic had a definite impact on the RCM's production and release schedules in 2020, it was something I considered while preparing my comments. However, the RCM released multiple coins last year that were completely calendar-neutral. Why not prioritize 2020 commemorative pieces over coins that could be released in any year?

I also agree with your assertion that the RCM has developed a market for high-priced gold and platinum coins. At the same time, it's hard to argue with vonigohcr's analysis. Like I said above, I'm OK with the RCM creating a gold version for a targeted audience, I just think that a design that was found on a circulating silver coin should be commemorated with a program that includes a silver coin not just an expensive gold one.

Regarding the Avro 5-ounce coin...I guess, sometimes you just have to go with popular!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commens....

Yes you are correct, there is only 11 coins not 13, my bad.

Both the 1990-94 and 1995-99 Canadian Aviation coin sets had 10 coins each.

Was too busy last night dreaming about the 5 oz. Avro Arrow coin that I figured I would not get that my mind was not totally on my post, hence the error. Good catch....

BUT I did get a 5 oz. Avro Arrow at 4am this morning from TSC...I am now a happy camper. Figured they would have sold out by now but appears they are still available on Canada Post and TSC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tender4848: Congrats on securing one of the 5-ounce Avro Arrow pieces - I get the sense it will be a focal point of your collection!

Glad to hear your display frame has 11 coins, not 13 - I can cancel my emergency appointment at the eye doctor!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
819 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll just wait a few years to pick up the 1 ounce Arrow coin.

Tender4848, nice display, and glad to see the Arrow is not forgotten. Here's something you will appreciate.

"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very few left on shopping channel.

Loonielewy...who are the autographs of?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
819 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.who are the autographs of?

That would be the 2000 Snowbirds team. That paint scheme is all mine too. Imagine, aerodynamically hard, but, Snowbirds flying Arrows. .

Pillar of the Community
Canada
516 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2021 $50 AVRO ARROW is now sold out on TSC. I imagine they held some back for The Coin Show at 7:00 PM 05/05/2021
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
516 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Gatewest Coin has a limit of 5 coins. If the coin is so rare, surely Gatewest would have not have such a high limit.

I don't understand how they can offer a limit of 5 of the 2021 $50 AVRO ARROW coin. You would think 1 per customer would be a more realistic number. Only 1000 minted and many dealers have them including TSC and probably the post office. The question is how many of these coins were actually bought by the public? I believe that the majority were allocated to dealers. Hence the super quick sellout at the RCM.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
642 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 5oz Avro Arrow coin is either Out of Stock or Sold Out at all dealers (at the moment), including Canada Post and TSC, except for Gatewest, which now has a limit of 2 and no discount.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just the Special Edition Silver Dollar Set for me this month.

Hope everyone who wants one of the 5-ounce Avro Arrow coins gets one at issue price!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@loonielewy - very cool of you to obtain signatures of snowbird pilots. Are you able to enlighten what the number represents beside some of the signatures? (great paint scheme too)

@commems - on the commemorative piece for the 1936 Dot 10-cent coin in gold; I would bet the Mint will come forward with a silver version of this coin and other "dot" coin replicas down the road. However, they may have missed a great opportunity to promote coin collecting (especially for many new collectors) with this initial very high priced gold version.
Some of the most famous Canadian coins are the "dot" coins. Like other rare coins, these have ever-increasing values. For many collectors the fun factor is often directly linked to the investment factor. The Mint has produced some of the rarest coins in the world. Like the higher valued 1954 Devils face bank notes, the "dot" coins, by accident or inadvertent design have gains much fame with their rarity and super high value. These examples are what elevates big interest in coin collecting. The intrigue factor is over the top.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
819 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The numbers beside the signatures are their position in the team. 1-9 are the display pilots, 10-12 are the media personnel. If there is an "A" beside their name, it represent the technician for that plane and pilot. 1 and 1A are on the model, just on the tail and side. I'm a Snowbird freak, so I better stop.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6085 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@loonielewy: I'm aware of Canada's 2006 $5.00 silver commemorative coin for the Snowbirds - has the RCM produced any others?

Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commens

Yes.....

The Aviation Series II set from 1995-1999 has a Snowbirds coin in it.

See my post and picture, the Snowbirds coin is to the immediate right of the Avro Arrow coin.

I believe the Snowbirds Coin was Coin # 5 in the set minted in 1997
Edited by Tender4848
05/05/2021 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
819 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems, I believe the Mint has only put out the coin you state and the $20 Coin #6 from the 2nd Avaiation set from 95 to 99. The Goldenhawks, the Snowbirds predecessors, are coin # 5 in the same set. Seeing as autographs are relevant, I have a signature from Fern Villeneuve on that coins COA.

You asked of RCM coins, I think that's it. Now Challenge coins may be another story. I have this one. And a pic of coin #5 and 1 that may make some members cringe.

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 5,689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05