Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 D Buffalo Nickel - Unslabbed

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 735Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
501 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
this is not the same 1938D as the other day. I don't believe it's been seen on here before now.

I like this coin, but the "liberty" is a little faded.

What do you think of it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks high mint state. 65, perhaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15411 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64 to 65 the 8 in date is a little faded too .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58260 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you remove this from the plastic and show us larger images?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2051 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1938-D Buffs were saved in very large quantities, so UNC examples are common. Most certified 1938-D UNCs grade MS-66. That's essentially the default grade for the date, unless something dictates a different result.

Strike quality is all over the lot for the date, and this coin is average for 1938-D. The weakness here is more of a die state and die polishing issue than strike quality. It's a bit hard to get a feel for this coin because of the 2x2 holder and picture size, but the first impression is the usual MS-66. I don't see anything obvious that would knock it down from there, but better photos might reveal a different picture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4362 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example. Given the through-plastic photos posted, I'd say a very strong MS65.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2466 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65, though pics are the best to grade accurately, could easily be a 1 point swing either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4566 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking exactly what fortcollins stated...
Nice coin...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortcollins, I've been reading through your replies on here and I'm blown away. I am trying to learn about Buffalo nickels, do you have any book reccomendations that allow a not so bright guy to retain a portion of the knowledge you have on Buffalo nickels in a relatively short time(i.e. 1 year)
I am thinking Wexlers reference book?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8062 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fortcollins is the go-to guy here for Buffalo nickels, I too look forward to his book recommendations. I suspect he will say the same as I do. You just can't get the knowledge from only books, but...

Here are a couple of references to get you going now without spending a dime, all from the Newman Numismatic Portal and free to read online or download.

The Complete Guide to Buffalo nickels by David W. Lange
https://archive.org/details/compgui...falo1992lang

Buffalo nickels: The Abraded Die Varieties - by Ron Pope
https://archive.org/details/buffalo...lsab2006ronp

As to books learning how to grade them? There are a lot of grading books out there, PCGS has a good one, Photograde for circulated coins, ANA Grading standards book, but really nothing will teach you like having a mentor and looking at thousands and thousands of coins yourself, go to shows, auctions, look at everything you can. Study and remember each date, mint mark combo, that is really how the experts learn, it's all about getting your hands on as many different coins as possible.

I also can't recommend enough how good the ANA Summer Seminars are, I've taken the grading courses at least 4 times and the counterfeit course a couple of times, along with photography, EAC, VAMS and others courses. They are the best!!! You will never learn as much as you will by attending one of them for a full week of coin immersion.

David's book is older but still mighty relevant as too how he breaks down the dates and mint analysis he does is invaluable and still I believe a great starting point.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/12/2021 3:32 pm
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I was just looking at David Lanes book, so really happy to have that link. That summer seminar sounds like exactly the thing I've been looking for. I watched all their videos, and that helped, but I feel like that could make me a competent grader. I was also thinking of taking their correspondence course.
Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
United States
8062 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem. The thing about the ANA Summer Seminar, that is so different, beyond the fact you are spending a full week immersed into coins and other like minded collectors, you will spend each day with experts in the field of your choosing. In grading, I started before there was third party grading. But the later courses now usually spend the first half the day going over a series of coins first, discussing, strike quality, things to look for, luster by dates, key stuff to know. Then lots and lots of coins in slabs being passed around the grades covered, where you write down your opinion/guess before passing the coin on, and grading the next one. You spend hours doing this. It's similar to being in a grading room at a TPG. After the box or two has been graded by the class, the grades are revealed and the class gets to talk about them, see which coins had the most trouble on getting correct and why. More discussions, followed by the same thing over again. It's one thing to look at a few double eagles and give an opinion on grades, it's another thing entirely to have several hundred to go through and have to try and get the correct grade in a set amount of time. Not unlike a TPG grading room would be. You will see so many coins your head will spin. You will hold coins you have only dreamed of seeing in person before, piles, stacks and stacks of slabs. It's mind numbing the value of coins they bring in for you to grade and discuss.

Plus the evening time is full of bull sessions and just getting to make new friends and talk coins 24/7 the side trips are also a fun break, some of numismatic related like the Mint floor tours or trips to ANACS, Cripple Creek, while others are just fun, like Broadmoor Hotel Tavern and the Colorado Rockies Baseball game. It's well worth the money and time to attend at least once if you can.

If you are young (under 18) then try to get a scholarship, I got my first trip completely covered by the ANA through the "Florence Schook" YN Scholarship program it's not a hard thing to complete and it costs nothing, but pays out huge!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds great, I may have to change my vacation plans this year. I am definitely going by next year at the latest
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2466 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both great, must have references posted by westcoin!

I'll add a third: The authoritative reference on Buffalo nickels by Wexler, Pope, and Flynn. The other two will pretty much cover this one though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
658 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will stay MS-66 based on the pics
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2051 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot better graders on here than me. I'm just an old horse-trader. My opinions and fifty cents will get you half a cup of day old gas station coffee. The people who taught me grading were the real graders, and they had a world of patience for a pesky teenager filled with questions in a land long ago and far, far away. Hubert Carcaba, Virg Marshall, and Bill Knight were particularly helpful.

I'll echo the three books already listed. Ron Pope's book is THE resource for Buffs. Start there, learn that book inside and out, and then read it a dozen more times.

Grading Buffs is a challenge. The older grading guides are still the best for this series. Yes, I'm going back to clay tablet and stylus days with these.

Martin Brown and John Dunn, A Guide to the Grading of United States Coins (Western Publishing 1975). Yes, it's line drawings. Yes, it's stuck in the distant past with a lingo long forgotten. But the scholarship that created this book is still solid.

Ken Bressett, The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins (Whitman, 2019 ed).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 735Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05