Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 10c Barber Dime (2 Of 4)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 538Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  9:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$51. This is from a group of 4 coins I purchased from a seller that had dark photos, which were almost impossible to make out any details, and the coins all had this screen of vertical lines throughout the entire photograph. I manipulated the images to be able to see the coins and I am presenting these here, not the sellers' original pics. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why you would buy something like this from these photos is just beyond my comprehension.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For this who cannot grade unless they have the seller's original images.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ coinfrog...because he loves a challenge...with crummy sellers pixs...

@ NS..do you ever pick-up coins with good/great photos?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are too many bidders driving up the price for coins with clear pictures, but I think the 1908-s Indian cent had pretty good pictures. So did the 1885-O Morgan. So I think it's a mixed bag.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2456 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15400 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NS , It's obvious your still putting good money on coins that you have no idea what they are going to look like in hand . But on the bright side , I can see you looking outside the box on this coin , A sure gamble but remove all those lines and lighten up the coin ( color wise ) it just might grade 45-MS . But what in the heck are those darn lines
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10171 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could be in the AU range
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2047 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. Your coin has a whale of a die break on the reverse. It's a close call between a die break and RCD. There are no listed RCDs for an 1892.

LDS obverse and reverse. Quite a few small die chips and the two significant reverse cracks. Old cleaning, not sure if it is market acceptable. There are surface abrasions on the neck and on the fields inside the upper wreath.

I'm leaning toward AU Details here. If it isn't detailed, the obverse hits me at AU-55 and the reverse at AU-58, maybe with an eye appeal adjustment for the surface scratches.

If it straight grades, really decent snag from the seller's pics. If this becomes an RCD plate coin, you came out well ahead.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2456 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am baffled. Are both sets of pics of the same coin?
And why is the second set gold colored? Is the coin struck on a rose-gold planchet?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High AU or MS details (cleaned and re-toning).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked closely at the date with a 10x loupe and it is not a RCD. It looks like the date is doubled in the pictures, but from what I can see, it is only absence of toning around the date to make it look like it is doubled.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2047 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Multi-purpose abbreviations strike again. I was using the old RCD abbreviation for retained cud, rather than a recut date. One of these years, I'll adapt to the new pre-cud name. (My wife just said "no you won't.") I'm talking about the heavy reverse die break or possible retained cud at 10:00-12:00.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10171 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
high AU details or UNC details
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 538Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05