Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861 H10c Liberty Seated Half Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7821 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$49. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58113 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse pic not sharp enough to make a clear call.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats some pathetic photos. PASS
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2041 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one will need better photos. Wiley and Bugert describe one main variety of the 1861 as having an exceptionally weak obverse strike, including Liberty's head and the bottom of the shield. That fits this coin.

There are two significant varieties of the 1861, and both are scarce. There is a disputed 1861 1/0. Bill Fivaz believed this was not an overdate, but a defective four-digit date punch, since it appears on at least three different obverse dies, one of which is plainly doubled. The second variety has a repunched second "1" with the base of the first punch below the main digit. Your coin has something below the second "1" and should be checked for this variety.

There is plenty of luster on your coin. The reverse photo suggests a heavy abrasion of the surfaces, but that may simply be the photo quality.

I'll look forward to your in-hand pics. This may be another of your sleeper coins that has pretty decent value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cant say anything that I'd feel super confidant grade wise, that said, I can see why you'd take the risk with this one. The price seems relatively low, the coin looks fairly decent from what can been seen. Could turn out to be a mid AU, or it could be a cleaned EF. Either way I hope it works out for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7821 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in. The obverse shows more luster than the reverse. First image is shot straight on, 2nd and 3rd images are at an angle to show depth of coin and detail a little better. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say low AU Details due to a few hits here, one being on the lower shield and lower part of drapery. Second being on the reverse, upper left portion of the wreath.

@NS, maybe you can clarify in hand, looks like die polishing in the obverse fields east of the legs and in the low relief portion of the legs as well?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7821 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ty2020b - I don't really know. They look like planchet file marks under a loupe, and we know that throughout the civil war, there was a weights and measures department at the Mint. It was staffed mainly by women and was responsible for ensuring that the weight of coins was within tolerances, and used a file to bring it within parameters. But I thought this was for more substantial coins, not almost weightless half dimes. I can see that the planchet was polished after filing and before minting because there is luster throughout the obverse. A little mystery and perhaps some other ccf members could weigh in if they have insights.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05