Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On 2021 King George 50 Cent Piece

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,055Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
800 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  08:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got my hands on 1 the other day. It's really nice. The first thing I noticed was the shine, by that I mean, being a nickel finish. It just seems different not being silver. Then, the smaller diameter shrinks the design. Different again from silver. Busier I guess. Reverse more than the obverse.

That being said, the strike is great and the fields super clean. I would venture to say, this example is TPG worthy. I'm not sending it in, but it will look good in my collection.

Any one else like this coin?
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the KGVI portrait on the original half dollars (1937-1952) is a bit softer and more natural looking. When the portrait for the modern commemorative pieces was enhanced (e.g., added hair details), I believe the portrait lost some of its realism. Just my opinion...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58053 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us pics?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
800 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew some one would want pics. These are awful, just so hard to get a good one. See the link for better views.

I'm with you commems, the King has been GQ'd. .

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8414 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, but could have been better if they had stuck with the original portrait, which is often referred to as the classic coinage head of the 20th century.
Haven't received mine yet, hope I'm as pleased as you seem to be loonielewy.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/02/2021 12:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree these are really nice, just wish the RCM would be more proactive & creative to get these out to the general public.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
clearly prefer the portrait on the original 50 cents.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these being released into circulation? I was led to believe they were limited and only available in rolls from the RCM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
800 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are these being released into circulation?

No, and the rolls are sold out.

Valued Member
Canada
222 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't like former monarchs on modern coins. It just seems wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
800 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that puts a spin on things. I thought it was a breath of fresh air. You watch, when the next monarch is struck, we'll be wishing it was still Liz.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8414 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine arrived yesterday.
I'm impressed!
It's absolutely flawless, not even the tiniest contact mark.
The quality of strike is superb and the brilliant finish is exceptional.
MS68 or 69
Yet it can't be, even though the mint calls this a "circulation" strike, it most certainly is not.
I have a number of the "Queen" version 2021s and although a couple may be 66 or 67s they don't even come close to the quality of this coin.
Was this coin struck in Ottawa rather than Winnipeg?
It kinda reminds me of some of the double struck brilliant specimen coins found in early Prestige sets, but with cleaner fields.
What do you think? Is it really an MS coin or should PL or NBU designations be resurrected.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/09/2021 2:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It reminds me of the Washington quarter with spaghetti hair.
It's just not the same as the original.
But, You gotta collect what they put out.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
465 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM

Not sure about the designation. The RCM has completely dropped BU. They only issue base metal coins in Proof & its variants, Specimen and Circulation. Where once we had PL & BU designated by the mint, all we have today is Circulation or UNC. In one respect, it makes it easier since coins in the finest quality are now only PR-XX SP-XX or MS-XX and all of the PLs and BU/NBUs are gone.

I was surprised this month, pleasantly so, when the RCM returned to a BU Silver Dollar on the Special Edition base metal proof set. I haven't seen a BU SD (as designated by the RCM) since 2015.

Reaching out to the experts... I am assuming that all PR & SP issues are coming from Ottawa and anything Unc/Circ is coming from Winnipeg... Is this correct?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
800 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Haven't received mine yet, hope I'm as pleased as you seem to be

I see you are. What did I tell ya's. .

Learn More...
Australia
13642 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archaeologists of the future, on finding one of these coins: "We know George VI died in 1952, so it can't possibly be a genuine 50 cent coin with that date. It's probably one of those Chinese fake coins that flooded the world coin market in the early to mid 21st century; they were always getting the dates mixed up."
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,055Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05