Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Classic US Commemorative Coins Depicting Mythology

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 268Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5697 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The use of mythology and allegory are common elements of coin design. Within the classic US series of commemorative coins, I've identified 11 different types that make use of such designs.

This index provides quick access to my posts about these coins in the "Mythology On Coins" thread over in the "Post Your..." forum area. If I've forgotten any, let me know below!

IMO, a mythology-themed topical set of US commemorative coins would make for a very interesting subset of the coins. Each of the posts linked below briefly delves into the mythological element(s) of the specified coin and may help you understand a bit more about the artistic choices made by each coin's designer.

1. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Half Dollar
2. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Gold Quarter Eagle
3. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, Gold $50
4. 1926 American Independence Sesquicentennial Gold Quarter Eagle
5. 1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial (Winged Victory)
6. 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial
7. 1935-36 California-Pacific International Exposition (aka "San Diego")
8. 1935 Hudson, NY Sesquicentennial
9. 1936 Cincinnati 50th Anniversary as Center of Music
10. 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial
11. 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial

Bonus Coin:

Though a quick glance at the reverse of the 1893 Isabella Quarter might make you think "mythology," the figure presented is actually a modern creation intended to symbolize "women's industry" and is not based in classical mythology. To learn more about it, check out:

- 1893 Isabela Quarter - Coins with Hands Thread

As I stated in my previous Index posts, a wide variety of world coins are on display in the "Post Your..." area - I encourage you to scroll around a bit after you check out one or more of my US commemorative posts!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun list, Commems.

I'd like to add 2 side-notes if I may;

1) 1935 Old Spanish Trail - Although not 'Mythological', what the coin depicts is a myth as to what the 'real' Old Spanish Trail was. The trail depicted on the coin was a contemporary add-on to the original trail, and didn't really come into existence until the automobile. So while it's one of my favorite commemoratives, it's based more on myth than fact.

2) 1925 Norse American Medal - Probably the one that should have been filled with (Norse) mythological imagery, and there isn't a hint on it. Lots of legend, but no mythology.

Just two tidbits that I felt sort of fit the thread.
Edited by Beefer518
05/05/2021 12:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5697 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Beefer518: Thanks much for adding your thoughts! I always enjoy a good dialogue about the coins I collect and present! You certainly raise valid points re: the Spanish Trail coin and the Norse-American medal.

You might be interested in a post I made about the Spanish Trail half dollar that discusses the "myth" of the trail on the coin. You can read it here: 1935 Old Spanish Trail Redux.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You might be interested in a post I made about the Spanish Trail half dollar that discusses the "myth" of the trail on the coin.
It was good to revisit that one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7074 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely - thank you!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05