Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Dumbfounding Grade - 1921 Peace Dollar On Ebay

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 802Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay AU-55 money for that example. AU-50 at most and that would be pushing it. Horrible strike even for a 21 and no trace of residual luster.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks for the explanation with respect to the grade, but I still have a hard time buying it as well. If that's an AU, what does this raw one grade?

Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panzaldi, Actually I had watched a video from a coin expert demonstrating that very thing and even he was surprised at how easy it was to open one without damaging the case. A few drops of super glue to put it back together, Voila! That is not to say that somebody closely inspecting wouldn't notice but lets not be so quick to dismiss this possibility.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18537 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the OP's coin, the design detail in the lower areas of relief still appear to be more worn than the stated slab grade indicates.

Upon reviewing another coin graded at MS-65, that is a known low pressure trial strike, the low level relief detail still shows up quite sharply, but the high points of the design have no detail at all.

I still find it difficult to grade OP's coin at AU-55.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting explanation, Slider - thank you for that. Assuming that holder hasn't been exchanged, maybe someone was just having a sleepy grading day...?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10165 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MisterT...I wasnt dismissing the possibility of a cracked out coin, I said "I have no idea how someone can open one of these cases without pretty much destroying it". I just never saw anyone that did it without destroying the case or at least leaving some type mark or something on the holder that would point to that.

Elmerflick - the second coin you posted has been cleaned. AU details which is sad as this looked like a decent example
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 802Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05