Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Understanding Numismatics

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 370Next Topic  

Portugal
0 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  05:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MargaretT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone! I am Margaret, a marketing student, and I'm doing a study on the longevity of numismatics near younger generations. I would love to understand more about why people practice coin collection and what might drive younger generations to this practice. What are your thoughts on this ?
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not of the younger generation, but I am working to get my five-year-old nephew interested. I was about his age when my Uncle gave me my first coins. There are so many reasons for coin collecting. History, artistry, greed, investment, treasure hunting or just owning something that is rare. I'm not sure what the younger generation thinks. I suspect that we all wonder how long physical coins and currency will last into the future. Maybe this will motivate the younger generation. Not sure. Good luck with your efforts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3881 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've likely thought of this...try Googling the terms 'coin collecting young generation'. A boatload of material is presented.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38842 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
99061 Posts
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welp thats great id like to know aswell but also Id like to know what you have figured out thus far... While I will be waiting for a response here, I will answer. The history is nice and also the quality time you spend with family when if shared interests are there. I had no interest until my grandfather mentioned he had some showed me and I didnt get it. But time passed and left me curious about it. Here I am interested in why people like them. Heres what I will add to that. I have heard different responses on what they like and why its almost like theres different reasons that dont come close sometimes and just have an ordinary story. I still dont get it but I get the relevance to their why. Each have their own story. I think it may have nothing to do with the coin but rather a story or experience shared with the item. I dont know if this was useful at this point now. But I thought id try...
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Margaret, I have been collecting coins since 1967 when my Uncle, a serious collector, introduced me to the hobby. As a child it was a challenge and accomplishment to complete a book of coins from those found in circulation. There was a time when I often came across good finds in circulation but those days have past for the most part. I do not collect coins with the attitude of getting rich from them but more for the beauty and history especially with old classic coins. When I hold my 1786 Piece of Eight in my hand it takes me back to thinking of the pirate error, the HMS Bounty, or who may have handled this coin long before me. When I hold an old Morgan dollar I wonder if Wild Bill could have used this in a poker game or that 1943 half dollar, was that the last coin a GI spent before meeting his demise on the beaches of Normandy. Once you start collecting coins it becomes an addiction. Just like a drug, you always have to have more!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1284 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting coins when I had my 1st paper route change in hand. But then I saw my brother's treasures (he got most of his silver from my grandfather/before silver was phased out) & I decided to acquire banknotes. I know it must sound pretty immature, but I guess I was competitive (& just knew I couldn't compete with some of his coins, including a gold 1/2 sovereign he inherited from our grandmother).

It was tough to keep a $1.00 banknote back then (let alone a $2, $5, $10 or $20). As a youngster, I just wanted one of each denomination. Once that objective was completed, I tried to broaden my horizons (wanted better condition, asterisk replacements, special serial numbers, etc.) When I got my first P/T job, my collection grew. I felt a bit of an oddball collecting notes when I knew most kids collected coins.

I think a lot of people who collect things do it to fill a deep, primal need: to surround themselves with cultural artefacts, things/items that confirms their productivity/accomplishments. For some it becomes an obsession.

You may want to check out:
Numista https://en.numista.com/ & other sites/forums for different opinions. A lot of younger collectors enjoy collecting coins/notes from their travels.

On my site I have listed some other forums too.https://sites.google.com/view/notap...sites-forums
Edited by walk2dwater
05/03/2021 5:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17185 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
16379 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF MargaretT!
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to ask is this for school? Is this for personal interests? Are you interested yourself in collecting? What will you hope to accomplish with this?... I guess I'm doing something similar to be helpful and want to be knowledgeable about it. The similarities I think are its like antiquing It has a history behind the coin a story per say or characteristics. Again I hope I am being helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5073 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05