Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Abel Buell: And The History Of The Connecticut And Fugio Coinages Review

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 52Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7862 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  1:25 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
"Abel Buell and the History of the Connecticut and Fugio Coinages" maybe Christopher R. McDowell's first numismatic book, but he is no stranger to numismatic writing or Connecticut coppers. Christopher has a long history of being a well regarded author of many C-4 Journal articles and other Colonial Coinage articles in numismatic publications.

McDowell covers Connecticut's Abel Buell (1742 to 1822) involvement as a professional in:

* Counterfeiting
* Silversmithing
* Copper engraving
* Cartography
* Type-founding
* Cutlery (sword making)
* Cotton spinning
* Minting coins

He tells Buell's remarkable story, and fascinating history interwoven with many other figures from the pre and post revolutionary era of the early United States, both infamous and famous.

Christopher deftly combines material from both well regarded academic sources as well as old historical works that make for one of the better historical accountings I've read in a long time, his use of these old stories lends a credibility to a biography that would be much less interesting without them.

The coin-related history doesn't appear until almost 80 pages into the book's 216-page main text, That is not to say it lacks entertainment on the numismatic front, beginning with tales of Abel's counterfeiting and subsequent arrest and conviction for it. The authors writing style is informative yet entertaining.

Next the author relates stories covering Abel's work with engraving prints and maps and how he was one of the first American immigrants to make and design moveable type for printing & engraving as well as his metal work creating swords of the highest caliber.

The more numismatists understand about some of these fields Abel Buell worked in, such as;

* copperplate engraving
* sword cutlery
* type foundry work and printing

their understanding of manufacturing coins and paper money will grow more concrete. Abel Buell's involvement with the Connecticut and Fugio coinages has finally been told in a complete and entertaining single book.

By bringing the works of other top researchers such as Walter Breen, Sylvester Crosby, Damon Douglas, and others together with new data in a way that will render this book the final word for years to come.

Abel Buell and the History of the Connecticut and Fugio Coinages is published by the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C-4 Publications), printed in the United States in a large format, hardbound black cloth and gold gilt lettered cover, with a beautifully illustrated dustjacket, it's 230 pages and well illustrated in color on quality, glossy paper. No expense was spared on the printing side of this quarto sized book.

I purchased my copy from bookseller Charles Davis. http://www.numisbook.com/

I highly recommend to anyone at all interested or just intrigued in Colonial Coinage to add this book to your numismatic library, you won't regret it. It's been one of my favorite reads of the past year or longer.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 0 / Views: 52Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05