Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does A Mere 2 Numbered Serial Number Make?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 274Next Topic  

Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  9:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The more I Google study the less I learn, or, maybe that's, understand.

From what I have read about this serial number... it makes me more confused than what I was originally! Is there some contention among collectors considering this as "binary" or is this a repeater or is this neither and just an interesting serial sequence?

Does anyone know of a free and easy to understand online banknote crash course or, do you not mind the badgering, er, questions? I ain't this bad with the coins but, I guess at one point I was.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11553 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe there is disagreement among collectors about whether a binary serial can include anything other than zeros and ones. Sometimes those are referred to as "true binaries" from what I've seen and would be more desirable. For what it's worth, I personally consider this one a binary serial but it's not a repeater in my book because of the last digit.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinsandCanada.com has a special serial section under the banknotes tab to give yourself a quick reference guide. Hope that helps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8371 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's interesting.
It's not a repeater.
By definition binary can only be 0s and 1s.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/03/2021 11:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned by others, not a repeater

A binary means 2 numbers, which you have as 3 and 4. So I must disagree with DBM, by definition yours IS a binary. As Spruett points out, a "true binary" which is a binary (by definition 2 numbers) made of just 0s and 1s (by computer language definition).

So your note is a binary because it has two numbers, but not a "true binary" because those numbers are not 0 and 1.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9758 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know in the US as our American members have mentioned, a binary note consists of two numbers but in
Canada a binary consists of the numbers 1 and 0 only.
According to Charlton Catalogue on Canadian Government Money, "Binary Notes have serial numbers
which are comprised of the digits 0 and 1 only, in any order" and are the only two digit banknote they give
a premium on. Also if your last number 4 was a 3, you would have had a two digit repeater.
Edited by JimmyD
05/04/2021 07:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1297 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

- I would call this a 2 digit "fancy" serial number. It is not a "special" serial number, as defined by the Charlton guide (last section) so "fancy" should suffice. This is the term I've seen over & over again touted on eBay & some collectors might pay a small premium if its in UNC (uncirculated) condition.

I like it b/c it's 3's & 4's (1 digit apart) but its the wrong denomination (for me). I don't collect $50 nor $100 unless they're world currency. If you were to list it, it could cost about as much as the premium you'd get. Might be better just to keep for your own collection, if you can afford to tuck the $50 away. That's my 2 cents...
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"CoinsandCanada.com has a special serial section under the banknotes tab to give yourself a quick reference guide. Hope that helps."

This is where I go first for all my Canadian stuff. The quick reference option you mention, I commented about on my first post. The new bills do not exist for some strange reason, everything else does. Even with the coins, how can they not update their minting numbers right away, does the mint not know how much they produce or do they have to count manually to confirm first and that takes years. Anyways... thanks.
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...8761#3414293

"Might be better just to keep for your own collection, if you can afford to tuck the $50 away. That's my 2 cents..."

My dad sent me this for my 51st birthday which just passed. I have a hard time at this moment collecting $50's. It is a nice note but, I can't spend it and I hope I don't get desperate enough to.

And... how do I put portions of a reply into new messages like this? Copy and Paste? Get link?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1297 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The new bills do not exist for some strange reason, everything else does

-just b/c there is no 'hit' on coinscanada that doesn't mean your note is a complete 'miss.' You have to take each site for its own merits & while that site is pretty good, its not extensive (nor authoritative), at least in my book. I rarely go there but frequent CPMF far more often (yet its dead too).
https://cdnpapermoney.com/forum/

Quote:

And... how do I put portions of a reply into new messages like this? Copy and Paste? Get link?

- You need to "Reply" at the top (rather than use the quick reply at the bottom) for full functions.

It would be helpful if you took the "Tutorial" which is the 3rd button from the right (next to Rules/FAQ):
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- You need to "Reply" at the top (rather than use the quick reply at the bottom) for full functions.

It would be helpful if you took the "Tutorial" which is the 3rd button from the right (next to Rules/FAQ):

Thanks. I had gone to that section initially but it doesn't explain how to "Quote" someone specifically, but, surprisingly, not giving up, I found the Icon... thanks again.
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By definition binary can only be 0s and 1s.

I disagree.

Binary means two.
Binary Code is the 1's and 0's in computer code.

By definition, if we want to go by the dictionary, my note is a binary note and a 1's and 0's note would be a computer binary note, no?

It doesn't really matter, the argument could make enemies so, I'd rather not bother.

Have a happy hump day wednesday!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05