Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When You Started What Was Your First Prized Find That Hooked U?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,416Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I no longer have it, it went under my son's pillow when he lost his first tooth and he is saving it to pass on to his first child (if he ever has one). The quarter is gone but it sparked a life long interest in coin collecting that is still strong.
That is a fantastic tradition! Thank you for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
34241 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did you explain how the tooth fairy got YOUR coin to put under the pillow?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1797 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't have any prized finds that got me hooked - I think the prized finds came much later.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy explanation for a small child......magic
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centhound1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The father of one of my friends in elementary school was the president of the local bank. My buddy asked if I wanted to go over to his house one day and his Dad had several bags of pennies he let us pour out and go through. Oh for the good old days
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2795 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have it now, but a very worn and barely visible dated 1899 Penny of Great Britain.

I kept it until 2001 when it was stolen with the rest of my first coin collection.

I got this coin when I was 8 or 9 in 1985 and chose it out of a plastic jug of coins owned by my neighbour.

Not much later I got a very worn 1933 NZ half crown as well, my first silver coin. I kept them as curios and referred to the penny as "Grandma" in a home made birthday card I gave my mother - but the coin collecting bug did not really bite me until I was nearly 13 in early 1989, when I bought a bag of 100 world coins for $25 from a coin dealer.

This was further exacerbated whn I was nearly 15 and I started collecting NZ Predecimal Threepences in March 1991.

I collect all these things now, but of course my present examples of all these coins are more recent purchases and much higher grade.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahlh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin in question is en route to me from my childhood home now, but it was the following moment of magic: I'd just started dabbling in coins as an 11 y/o and gathered a few old silver quarters and my dad's circulated Mercury dime set. Numismatics hadn't quite taken full hold in my brain.

A friend and neighbor offered me an old envelope of coins that'd been in his study desk for years, and I excitedly accepted the gift. I meticulously arranged everything on my desk at home that night and went through my "new haul". Wheat cent, Wheat cent, tarnished mid-70s nickels, a few random foreign coins, etc. Nothing special.

And then, like a beacon in a storm at sea, the waves parted and there she was - a spectacular 1802 large cent. It stood out so dramatically from the rest that I nearly fainted. It was the first coin I sent off to a grading service (what were those?) and it came back VF25 - woo! And then a dealer friend suggested cracking it out and gently removing some of the crud on the reverse. I watched him do it, petrified he'd ruin my new treasure, but he assured me he knew what he was doing. Off she went to PCGS again and a few weeks later....VF35! It's not the most valuable coin in the world, but I'll remember that story forever so this is one for my permanent collection.

(I'll share a pic as soon as it arrives next week!)
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2036 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it was my first major doubled die, which was a 1996 FS-101. Here's the link https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=372066
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Edited by SamCoin
05/17/2021 11:25 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5994 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine was a 1939-D nickel in AU condition I found in the early 1960's when I was helping my uncle go thru a bag of nickels one evening.

Before my uncle died a few years ago I asked him if he remembered that coin. He said "remember it? I've still got it!" I asked him if I could have it. A few weeks later he called me and told me to come and get it. It is the coin that hooked me! It is now displayed in my office!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18724 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adelaide Pound. Australia's first gold coin.
I bought a VF/EF example on my 21st birthday for AUD $250, in 1967.

Sold it 9 years later for AUD $750, along with most of the rest of my collection on consignment, to help raise the 33% of the total price for mortgage deposit on our first house, at $35K.

Paid house off in 7 years on a single income. House was a far better investment - now around $900K. And saved 45 years of rent, which would totaled at about $1.3 million in 2021 dollars!
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05