Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 S Nickel S Doubled

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 359Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first post, if I'm doing anything wrong please let me know :-)
I was looking through my older coin jar on a rainy day and came across this 1941 S nickel I collected from circulation years ago. The "S" looks perfectly doubled and but nothing else does. I could not find anything about this sort of error anywhere for this year and mint mark. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm including a macro of it.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9522 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a re-punched mintmark to me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
19179 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@koi, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm not seeing this listed on variety vista and am not convinced it is an RPM. @tng is wicked smart though so I'll be interested to see what others think. Hopefully we can come to a consensus.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the response :-)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9522 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh pa-shaw Spence. I'm no sharper than a butterknife.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56864 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty hard to argue with that close-up.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send it to Fivaz-Stanton. Perhaps you will get credit for a new variety discovery.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1947 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be 3 small "spikes" coming off of the back of the S also, any chance to get a microscope pic of it. Would be neat if it turns out to be a new RPM find.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
3306 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  12:26 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm worried this may be a very coincidental contact mark. The upper serif of the "extra mintmark" doesn't look like the right shape, and there is a another vertical contact mark on the very edge of the building just left of the mintmark.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how to respond directly with "tanman2001", but if you see this post What is a contact mark?
I was wondering if this could be a bounce, (I have no technical name for it) of the die on the planchet, if that is possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50764 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it looks like damage on that area. The mintmark and the building is the same hit on that area. Create an image that shows that whole area in a square to see if the mintmark is reduced, or normal sized, or enlarged. That way we can check it better to see what for sure is going on. Also take the image right above the coin. Not at a slant or tilt. (That will distort the device)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3306 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is a contact mark?

Just random circulation damage, usually from the edge a coin hitting the surface of another. Most coins have tons of little nicks and scratches on them if you look under magnification. The doubling on the edge of the mintmark could just be a well placed hit.

Quote:
I was wondering if this could be a bounce, (I have no technical name for it) of the die on the planchet, if that is possible.

I think you are describing Machine Doubling (MD), which is very common. That's a possibility too, but it doesn't really look like MD to me. Usually MD would make the mintmark appear thinner.

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1941 S with more magnification and straight on.
It does look like the side of the building is doubled like the mint mark.

Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common Machine Doubling, in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1947 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you can see it on the building also,
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05