Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"A Penny Saved" By Ken Bressett

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 469Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  1:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On June 29, 2021, Whitman Publishing is set to release A Penny Saved: R. S. Yeoman and His Remarkable Red Book.

For those that appreciate the " Red Book" for its impact on the hobby should enjoy the volume's dive into its history and the life of its primary creator - Richard Sperry Yeo(man). I'm also looking forward to the promised behind-the-scenes photos!

The list price is $39.95. I plan on getting a copy to learn more about one of the hobby's true foundation pieces.

Buy on Amazon --> A Penny Saved

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know Ken was just interviewed on the Coin Week podcast (episode #150) where he talked with host, Charles Morgan a lot about R.S. Yeoman and a little bit about this book.

Here it is for your listening pleasure.

https://coinweek.com/education/coin...bby-forever/

There is also a complete transcript if you'd rather just read it on the linked page.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/05/2021 3:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here it is for your listening pleasure.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
45 mn
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
45 minutes is nothing but a drive to work for many people. I listen to these while walking nightly, try to get in a couple of miles, for exercise.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drive to work? People still do that?

When I did drive to work, it was ~22 minutes, for what it is worth; so there and back would cover the time.

Anyway, I listen to my podcasts on daily walks, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear you Jbuck I've been unemployed/self employed for over a year now. My last commute was only about 6 minutes, most of that time was spent crossing under the freeway. I could walk it in about 25 minutes time, but it's a bit hot or rainy in Texas depending on the time of year to walk to work, and then getting home in the dark after you're exhausted isn't very inviting. When I worked in Houston though? Commute times of an hour or more weren't unheard of. Seemed each time I moved closer to work, my work would transfer me back to the opposite side of town.

That said a nice walk in the evening each night does me wonders. podcasts are the perfect time for that activity. Then San Diego wasn't bad, unless I was driving into LA county or delivering stuff in town. My office there was on the beach with a view over looking the ocean. (can't complain about that at all) even had mandatory 2 hour meditation self time & lunch (paid) every day, and the monthly masseuse that came in to take care of all the employees, working for a major record label and recording artist was a good thing!

There are only 5 podcasts I know that regularly release numismatic shows. Coin Week, Coin World, NBS - Bibliotalk, The Planchet (ANS), and of course the Coin Show Radio. There are a few others that occasionally put out shows or at least used to - "Both sides of the coin" and "Super Coin Brothers."

If anyone has any other podcasts worth listening to or subscribing on numismatics please let us know here!

EDIT: I thought the ANA had a podcast so I rechecked they do! And surprise Ken Bressett is on the latest episode it's called "TwoBits" so add another one to the pile.

Edited by westcoin
05/07/2021 2:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still employed, but have worked from home since April 2020. December of this year we made WFH permanent for those who wanted it, then gave up nearly two-thirds of our office and warehouse space. The money saved on rent kept everyone employed at full pay. As a telecom and data services business, we stayed in the black by helping our customers shift to work-from-home... and eating our own dog food.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great Jbuck! now you can keep a CCF screen open on the side and hit that 100K even faster.

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another bit about the book came out today, including the cover and ex-(awesome) Numismatist Barbara Gregory Editor:

http://news.coinupdate.com/barbara-...penny-saved/

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin: Thanks for the update - I enjoyed the article.

I enjoyed my conversations with Barbara years ago and was happy to read about her involvement with this book when I first learned of it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too love Barbara's work, she was a great editor, I really hope the new guy that has stepped in can actually fulfil what she brought to the job.

Have you seen any of her ANA Legacy Interviews? She didn't do all of them, but the ones she did conduct are all superb, Mark Borckardt, Steve Ivy and Jim Halperin, Fred Weinberg, Ken and Tom Hallenbeck, etc.

You can find them on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...6qZQPjNZgVxh

Edited by westcoin
05/15/2021 3:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 469Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05