Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noob Here Asking The Group "What Would You Do?"

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,086Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
4739 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1908 D Barber quarter...melt= @ 4.90/ collector value @+/-10.00...maybe an eBay coin?
My vote take your time and check each coin
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are a couple that I found on the top of the piles
Very nice!

Quote:
My vote take your time and check each coin
I agree. Share anything you think is interesting and enjoy the journey.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mastaplanna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hours and hours of fun...hey, at least they're already separated
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'll throw my Two Cents in on this one, as well.

first, tho, as has already been mentioned:

i'll tell you how I would go about it if it were gifted to me.

since it all seems to be already sorted and orderly, I would start with a decision on the whitman folders. I think I would be removing random coins from them to examine the coins for damage, sometimes coins in old folders that have been there a long time can tone or discolor, see that they're not damaged by the chemical reaction from the glue used in the old folders, I'm sure there are threads here on the forum for that subject, might take some time hunting those down, but it's easy enough to just ask someone here. but I think I would be more concerned about the silver. it's easy enough to remove the coins from the folders & store them safely with some notes about what's there or what's missing, etc.

then i'd begin sorting thru the cents, nickels next, then dimes, and so on, working my way up from the lowest to highest denominations. sort by date & mint. read-up on them, have a look at coin value/price guides to get an idea of the significant dates/mints, read about why they are rarer or more valuable/sought-after than others. as an example, you might consider setting aside cents from 1909-1915, 1922, 1931, 1955 (i don't want to get too specific, just giving you a broad generalization.. there are lots of specifics you need to discover, so just plan on doing lots of reading ). and don't forget, everyone here is more than willing & able to assist you. between us all there are likely hundreds & thousands of years of experience in the field. get your photography skills honed, we want to see pix! you're already off to a good start.

i wouldn't take anything to a coin shop until I've completely searched & picked thru the entire stash. for knowledge and info, tho, I would sooner trust the words of the many fine individuals here over anyone at a coin shop. that's just me & my few years of being here talking. not trying to disparage coin shop ppl, just my preference.

o, you lucky dawg. I would be one happy camper to be blessed with such a magnanimous pile of coins to pick thru. I hope you have a good time going thru all of that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4782 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic Disneyland...almost!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for the advice. Make no mistake, I will be going through each and every coin that is there. I almost immediately dismissed his advice to just count and take to the shop.

I also plan on taking the coins out of the folders he already started because 1. He may have better specimens in the piles you see and 2. Some of the folders he has are falling apart. On one of them one of the pages is being held to the rest of the book by only a couple threads.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy and keep us informed.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st update - quarters have been sorted.
Folder was complete except for 32D, 32S, 34D, 36S, 37S, 38S, 39S, 40D and 55D. Sadly I did not find any of these but I did improve some that were in there.

Breakdown is:
36-1
37-1
39-1
40-1
40S-1
41-6
42D-1
42S-3
43-10
43D-1
43S-8
44-8
44S-2
45-7
45S-1
46-6
46D-1
47-4
47D-1
48-1
48S-4
50-1
50D-1 not D/S
50S-2 not S/D
51-1
51D-4
51S-2
52-4
52D-1
52S-4
53-1
53D-4
53S-5
54-6
55-6
56-5
56D-2
57D-7
58D-1
59-1
59D-3
60-1
60D-2
61-2
61D-5
62-3
62D-14
63-7
63D-7
64-65
64D-22

There were also three undated standing liberty, the barber I showed in an earlier post and a bunch of late 67's and a couple '99 Presidential quarters.
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting there were six 1955-P quarters (relatively low mintage) in a seemingly random sample.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just recently finished organizing two little collections I inherited from my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother.

Within my grandfather's bag were a few Morgan and Peace dollars, a handful of Buffalo nickels, a V nickel, and some Mercury dimes and Franklin halves. Now that they are organized and in a folder, I'm going to work with my daughter over the coming years to finish up the sets.

In my grandmother's box, we unexpectedly found a little pouch she saved from her father with a key 1885 V nickel, and a few other interesting things they saved when the settled in California from Nebraska around the turn of the 1900s. Later, she kept in marked envelopes pocket change from each country the family visited on a European expedition in 1959. And again later, she kept the pocket change my dad returned from a couple years in the Netherlands with. I've added to it change from my own travels to Thailand, China, Canada, Mexico, and Europe. With it sorted, there is a neat little collection of world coins that covers over a century of my family's adventures.

I've combined my grandmother's V nickel with my grandfathers and a couple that my parents bought me as gifts when I as younger. This is the first date set I am going to do with my daughter. Everything is in AG condition, but its fun to take her into a show o or shop for a few minutes and let her pick out something that is shiny.

In total, my collection from my grandparents now spans 5 generations. It is worth significantly less than the melt value of your inheritance. But the connections between the generations and passing on something to my daughter that we can add to which was started by may great-great grandfather is really special to me regardless of whatever the market might think its worth.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find out if there is a local coin club. If so, take some samples to the meeting and ask what is the best course.

Be VERY aware, there are MANY snakes in the grass when money is involved.

KNOW what 90% silver is selling for, BEFORE you sell to ANYBODY.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i don't think anyone has mentioned it, and it may be too late, but i'd wear gloves when you handle coins. even if they are pretty well circulated and have some dings, fingerprints are bad news and can continuously do damage even while they are in the album. and depending on your particular hands (body chemistry), this might be pretty significant. some guys have to change their guitar strings after a gig because they look like they've been soaking in acid for a week, and some guys only have to change their strings occasionally. everyone is different. and you'll never know what you pick up until it's too late.

oh, and you can just send them to me if going through them is too much of a hassle. :p
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The penny process has begun!

I've gone through several hundred (even though it feels like several thousand). The oldest I have found thus far are two from 1919. The most I have found are 57D & 58D

Here are some steels I have found.

These are the nicest looking I found so far. At first I thought they were of a more recent vintage than they are. The quality of the picture doesn't do justice to how shiny they are.

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an amazing journey you have begun!!
As you sort through you will find the coin that excites you the most, for some its pennies, others its quarters.

You can't go wrong with the advice on this forum!! I have to remind myself I am asking people who are far more passionate about the coin collecting hobbie then I will ever be, so what they would sell or pass on I keep and enjoy.

In my personal opinion your new pastime is a bit like "fight club" be. . . . cautious (not sure that's the best word) who you share what you have with and your excitement. Making the forum even more valuable as it is fairly anonymous.

And also OMG the cup thing is genius. I'm sure many do it but I had never thought to sort that way!
Edited by ericalynn13
05/09/2021 12:43 pm
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just another quick update, the oldest I have found are from 1910. I have found at least one for every year except 09, 11, 12, 13, 22, 31 & 32. Still a long way to go so hopefully there are some still waiting for me in the pile.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,086Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05