Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noob Here Asking The Group "What Would You Do?"

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,057Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
101988 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The penny process has begun!
Excellent!

Quote:
Just another quick update, the oldest I have found are from 1910. I have found at least one for every year except 09, 11, 12, 13, 22, 31 & 32.
Very nice!

Quote:
Still a long way to go so hopefully there are some still waiting for me in the pile.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've made a dent!

Finally found a '11, '12, 16D, 36S and 37S. Still no 09's, 13, 15 or 22. Other than the 56D, 57D & 58D the one that I have found the most of thus far is 1944!

Found my first Indian Head!

These are three steels that I found, at least I assume they are. Is there any way to remove the gunk and corrosion from these to at least verify they are what I think they are? The other side of all three are just as bad so I didn't photograph them

Edited by DanFielding
05/11/2021 8:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
101988 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've made a dent!

Quote:
Finally found a '11, '12, 16D, 36S and 37S. Still no 09's, 13, 15 or 22. Other than the 56D, 57D & 58D the one that I have found the most of thus far is 1944!
Nice finds!

Quote:
Found my first Indian Head!
Congratulations!

Quote:
These are three steels that I found, at least I assume they are.

Quote:
Is there any way to remove the gunk and corrosion from these to at least verify they are what I think they are?
I will defer that answer to our chemistry experts.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look what I found! Not a VDB or an S but still...

Now the only years I haven't found are 22 or 32.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to stop in and say how impressive your learning rate is - over the course of this thread, you've progressed from a stack of coins to identification and curiosity of key dates. How cool, keep it up! :)
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "Hunt" is a huge part of the enjoyment. The fact that they were passed down to you makes it even better. My dad traveled throughout the Mediterranean during WWII on a light cruiser. He kept coins from every country and I inherited them. Not worth much, but provided hours and hours of enjoyment!
Learn More...
United States
101988 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look what I found! Not a VDB or an S but still...
Fantastic!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Reed, thanks for the compliment. I knew basic stuff, like wheat pennies are worth 2-3 cents and dimes, quarters and halves pre '65 were mostly silver but that's about it. I knew nothing of key dates and DDO's and DDR's. Now I looking to buy new folders to finish what he started.

I knew my dad had bought multiple proof sets for about 20 years. Those were in other boxes that my mother asked me to get rid of and I knew he had saved wheat pennies and silver coins but not to this extent. As far as I know they haven't been touched in almost 20 years, if not more. He's been gone for 12.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lookie what I found! When I begun this odyssey I told myself there was a 0% chance of finding one. I was wrong. It's not an "S" but I'll take it. Sorry for the poor quality of the back

Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent progress!
Time for a thread title change perhaps? No longer a noob, right? How about "Junior Expert"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2315 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like lots of fun. Cool finding the 1909 and 1909 VDB... and 1915, 1931, and 1933 are all tough years to find, so it's nice that you've found coins from those years too. The 1922-D is a tough one as are the 1932 and 1932-D coins - maybe you'll get lucky though!
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DanFielding for sharing your story, and for your updates.
Also thanks to all who posted the responses that have made this such a positive and enjoyable thread to read.

I think I can safely say, everyone who reads it from the beginning would love to have inherited what your father passed down to you. But not necessarily for the monetary value, which is a bonus. But more so for the searching.

I am so glad you decided to go through them, and with such enthuasium.

Keep posting your updates like you are doing, I think we all will be looking forward to seeing your finds.

It looks like you have caught the fever!!!!
Learn More...
United States
101988 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lookie what I found! When I begun this odyssey I told myself there was a 0% chance of finding one. I was wrong. It's not an "S" but I'll take it. Sorry for the poor quality of the back
Excellent!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have finished sorting the dimes. Only the halves need sorted now. While I have not counted each year/mint mark yet for the dimes the oldest I found was this

Nice, huh? The problem is the back looks like this

The oldest complete dime I found in the pile was a 1919. Strangely I found ZERO dimes of any type from 1955!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willkp23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following this thread! You are so blessed to have something inherited from your family. I'm been putting my collection together and looking forward to giving it to my daughter one day.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05