Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1857 FEC Counterfeit,

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 562Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:15 am Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Told the seller but it's still listed .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373567867630
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! It might help the community allot more if you can share with us as to why you are calling this a counterfeit.

Cheers
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has the broken wheat stalk . Pretty sure it's a Chinese fake.
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fine to me, don't know what your seeing that's wrong with it
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very well known Chinese counterfeit . We get them listed on eBay constantly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never mind. He took it down.
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info unfortunately by the time I read you're analysis of the coin, I wasn't able to see what you meant.

Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck!

The proverb "GIVE A MAN a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for his life time." Comes to mind when discussing coins. I think it should be customary to post pics and add a description when calling out fakes. It will help the Coin community at large.

Cheers
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it should be customary to post pics and add a description when calling out fakes. It will help the Coin community at large.
It is encouraged, for posterity.

For the record, even when a listing is pulled, you can still grab the images. Check out the "eBay Tools" link on the left. There you will find "Get Large Listing Image."
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These show up frequently and I'm sure guys get tired of them being posted here there's so many. The listing is still viewable. I just now clicked on my link and pulled this pic off it. Here's the broken wheat stalk for you.

Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Raymo! TBH I am probably more interested in most. Especially when learning how to detect fakes.

Cheers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call - his "Corrosion" looks to also be porosity from a casting?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58039 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've certainly learned a lot from this thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8021 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back up and I reported it probably won't do any good though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much of this fake crap on eBay that I don't even bother with anything unless it is in sealed mint packaging anymore. I am at a disadvantage here because the closest coin shop to me is 50 miles one way. I was fortunate however that my brother in law lives in the Philly area where there are lots of shops and he got me a 1857 FE for $40 in F-15. I feel a little more comfortable knowing it came from a reputable dealer.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 562Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05