Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 146 / Views: 2,904Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This thread will try to collect coins and medals that incorporate flora in their design. By flora, I mean flowers, non-flowering plants, trees, etc. - anything from the plant world!

Personally, the coins/medals I post will present coins that include flora in a meaningful/symbolic way vs. just background vegetation.

To kick things off: the US 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial commemorative half dollar.

The Illinois half dollar presents a modified version of the third Illinois State Seal that traces its roots to 1867 when Sharon Tyndale, the then-current Illinois Secretary of State, began his efforts to get a new Seal approved. The Seal incorporates a symbolic flora design element via the olive branch that is shown under the shield; the olive branch is included as a symbol of peace.

Earlier versions of the Seal presented a heraldic eagle that featured a bundle of arrows in its right talon and an olive branch in its left - in the same vein as the US Great Seal. The modified Seal, however, dropped the arrows and kept only the olive branch. This can be attributed to Tyndale's desire to move beyond the painful Civil War years and focus on peaceful "National Union" as included in the Illinois State Motto. (See the link below to learn more about the Illinois State Seal.)

1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial Half Dollar

For more details on the Illinois half dollar, see:

- 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial Half Dollar
- 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial Half Dollar - Revisited
- Lincoln's Portrait on the 1918 Illinois Half Dollar

For more information about the Illinois State Seal presented on this coin, see:

- Official Seals on Classic US Commemorative Coins - Part I.

For more on other commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/06/2021 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8718 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great new idea for a topic!

Quite a lot of British coins show flora representing the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Queen Elizabeth II florin reverse by Cecil Thomas and Edgar Fuller shows a Tudor Rose surrounded by thistles, leeks and shamrocks:
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic idea!

Quote:
Personally, the coins/medals I post will present coins the include flora in a meaningful/symbolic way vs. just background vegetation.
I hope my first example is meaningful enough?

2020 Mayflower 400th Anniversary US Medal

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope my first example is meaningful enough?

Perfect!

For an example of "background vegetation," check out the reverse of the 1925 Lexington-Concord - a bit of grass and a few bushes surround the Belfry - neither bit of flora is a meaningful addition to the overall design!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perfect

Quote:
For an example of "background vegetation," check out the reverse of the 1925 Lexington-Concord - a bit of grass and a few bushes surround the Belfry - neither bit of flora is a meaningful addition to the overall design!
Exactly what I expected was your intention. Thank you for giving that example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
706 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so many flowers on French coins (apart from the fleur-de-lys lily on older coins of course!), but more often agricultural plants, like on this 5 francs from 1960. Wheat, poppy, olives and oak on the reverse, the Soweress (La Semeuse) on the obverse.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel: Nice addition, thanks for posting it!

I really like Roty's timeless La Semeuse design on the obverse.

Edited by commems
05/06/2021 5:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8718 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The current bi-metallic UK pound coin with the rose for England, leek for Wales, thistle for Scotland and shamrock for Northern Ireland:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob: Classic allegorical symbolism - I like it!

Has the UK fully embraced the 12-sided pound after 3+ decades of the "Round Pound"?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3010 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2001 20c from Australia. In this year there was a series release depicting the state floral and fauna sybmols for the states of Australia.
This one is for Western Australia and shows the Kangaroo paw flower and the little critter is a bandicoot.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17651 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By flora, I mean flowers, non-flowering plants, trees, etc. - anything from the plant world!

What about this thread ?
Post Your Agriculture Themed Coins!

http://goccf.com/t/323063

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8718 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  03:10 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has the UK fully embraced the 12-sided pound after 3+ decades of the "Round Pound"?

Yes - they were accepted pretty well immediately.

Here's a 'floral' coin from Costa Rica, marking the 25th anniversary of the Central Bank in 1975:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about this thread ?
Post Your Agriculture Themed Coins!

While there is the potential for some overlap. the two threads do not have the same objectives.

An "Agriculture" theme should involve crops and livestock grown/raised for food, wool, etc. as well as the tools used to do so. The theme includes farming tools (e.g., tractors, plows), barns, grain silos, shearing tools, etc. This Flora thread is focused on the symbolic use of flora on coins - tractors and grain silos need not apply!

Edited by commems
05/07/2021 07:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a 'floral' coin from Costa Rica, marking the 25th anniversary of the Central Bank in 1975:

Orchids are a good choice for a coin from Costa Rica - they're the country's National Flower!

Thanks for posting!

Edited by commems
05/07/2021 06:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2001 20c from Australia...This one is for Western Australia and shows the Kangaroo paw flower and the little critter is a bandicoot.

Thanks for posting!

I enjoyed having the coin expose me to a flower and an animal that were unfamiliar to me.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial half dollar incorporates multiple examples of flora in its design.

The obverse presents the Maine Seal. Within the Seal, the central design element is a pine tree presented on the shield. The shield is supported by a farmer on the left (viewer's perspective) and a sailor on the right. Maine's official nickname is "The Pine Tree State." The white pine is the State Tree and the pine cone and tassel is the official State Floral Emblem. There are lots of pine trees in Maine - nearly 90% of the state's land is covered by forest!

The reverse design includes a wreath that encircles the coin's commemorative inscriptions. The wreath is comprised of pine branches with visible pine cones.

1920 Maine Statehood Centennial

For more on the 1920 Maine half dollar, visit:

- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial
- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - Revisited

To learn more details about the Maine State Seal, visit:

- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - Seal Discussion

To read other posts on commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 146 / Views: 2,904Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05