Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 3,002Next Topic
Page: of 10
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While there is the potential for some overlap. the two threads do not have the same objectives.
Agreed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1838 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first joined CCF, I was submitting photos for help identifying some world coins I had laying around. The images below were from the first day or two that I was here and before I was told that coins shouldn't be blue...

Since then, my photo skills have improved marginally and I no longer depend on filtered daylight for my light source.
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fantastic post! I am sure we have all come a long way with you.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
319 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems
What a super subject for focusing on the actual content of the coin images. Not sure we even had Flora when I was a kid, so I looked it up . Meaningful/symbolic way also proved to be thought provoking.

Until I saw this topic, I had not realized that on one of my favourite coins the maple leaf was actually the background for the poppys. Way beyond thought provoking.
Thanx again.
.....row on row, the poppies grow..............
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bump111: Thanks for joining in!

So, what did you learn about the coin? Country of issue? Year of issue? Significance of wheat stalks?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabefree: Glad you like the theme of the new thread!

Thanks for posting your contributions!

I've liked the design of the $20 In Flanders Fields coin (the coin at the center) from the first time I saw it! I think Laurie McGaw did a fabulous job with the design.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8731 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1976 Seychelles 50 cents with a Vanilla Orchid (Angraecum seychellarum):
Edited by NumisRob
05/07/2021 1:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
710 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins from everywhere and everyone!

On this 1947 piastre from the Indochinese Federation (before the war, French Indochina), Marianne is holding an olive branch. The reverse shows rice, which was of course more well known for the intended users of this coin.

Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob: Suzanne Danielli's flora and fauna designs for the 1976 Seychelles Independence coins are great. I always like it when a single artist designs a complete denomination set for a country. I think it gives the set a true cohesiveness!

Thanks for sharing your Vanilla Orchid coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel: I agree! I'm also enjoying the variety of international coins presented so far.

Your 1 Piastre is a great addition to the thread! The info on its design elements is also much appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1838 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, what did you learn about the coin? Country of issue? Year of issue? Significance of wheat stalks?

Apologies for neglecting the coin details. I can fill in the following info (maybe too much, but fun is fun!):

- One Agora / Israel / 1977 (5737 on Jewish Calendar)
- Made of aluminum
- There are two varieties of this coin; with and without Star of David. This is the more common "without" variety
- One of the very first world coins I acquired, brought back by a family friend after a visit to the Holy Land
- Significance of wheat stalks - I don't know, but I recall a significant irrigation project over the years that has turned the region into a bountiful producer of grains and other goods. Perhaps it was in reference to that?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8731 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thrift plant (Armeria maritima) on a 1937 British nickel-brass threepence:

Thrift of course also means being careful with your money, so it was appropriate to put a thrift plant on a coin denomination that was traditionally saved by children in money boxes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...so it was appropriate to put a thrift plant on a coin denomination that was traditionally saved by children in money boxes.

Another thing I learned today! Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5886 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first classic US commemorative coin to include a flora element in its design is the gold $1.00 coin that commemorated the centennial of the Louisiana Purchase and was issued to support the Louisiana Purchase Exposition held in St. Louis, MO in 1904. Two varieties of the coin were struck, one that featured a portrait of Thomas Jefferson on the obverse and one that included a portrait of William McKinley.

The two versions of the coin share a common reverse design and that is where we find the flora design element. In addition to the various commemorative inscriptions included, the design also includes a bifurcated olive tree branch; the segment that splits off to the left separates "ONE DOLLAR" from "1803 - 1903."

The olive branch, a symbol of peace, is meant to represent the manner in which the United States acquired the vast territory. Rather than winning its control as the result of emerging victorious from an armed conflict, the US acquired the territory peacefully from France in what was essentially a business transaction - as its name implies, the territory was purchased from France (for $15 million dollars) without shots being fired. France was a willing seller and the US was a willing buyer. At approximately $18 per square mile, the 828,000 square mile purchase roughly doubled the size of the fledgling United States and proved to be a great deal!

1903 Louisiana Purchase Gold Dollar - Jefferson Variety

1903 Louisiana Purchase Gold Dollar - McKinley Variety

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 3,002Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05