Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 160 / Views: 3,503Next Topic
Page: of 11
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2013 Banco Central de Reserva del Peru.
1 Nuevo Sol

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8797 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 British sixpence with the entwined rose, shamrock, thistle and leek for the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom. Another design by Edgar Fuller and Cecil Thomas:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1967 British sixpence with the entwined rose, shamrock, thistle and leek for the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom.

Another classic design. I always like the use of allegory on coins!

Thanks for posting!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8797 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ghirlanda flower on a Maltese 25 cent coin:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
718 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must say I haven't been aware of the rich and beautifully rendered flora on British coins, @NumisRob. Very enjoyable!

A step away from the agricultural fixation on French "floral" coins: The Tree of Liberty (l'Arbre de la Liberté) - in a more artistic than natural representation, but appealing in a way. It is a tradition going back to the French Revolution, when trees were planted under ceremonial forms around the country, as a symbol for life, continuity, growth, strength and power.

The tree shown is an oak tree, with olive branches in front of it. (Perhaps there is a rule against showing vegetables on French coins, unless there is at least one olive branch included ... )

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The tree shown is an oak tree, with olive branches in front of it.

The use of oak and olive tree branches on US coins is common. The olive is meant to represent a desire for peace while the oak branch symbolizes strength and independence (and a willingness to defend/fight for it).

A parallel meaning to their use on French coins?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
718 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the symbolism is the same in France, generally speaking. The olive branch is certainly a peace symbol, the oak (leaves) symbolizes strength. In France I think* the oak is also specifically seen as a symbol for the strength of the Republic and for the justice upheld by the Republic (in contrast to the somewhat more arbitrary justice upheld by the monarchy). It also seems that oak leaves and branches appear mostly on the coins of the republican periods in France (but there are also a lot of olive branches), while monarchs and emperors stick to olive branches (despite not always being overly pacifistic themselves).

* Not being French myself, I have to guess a bit
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8797 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To go with the oak tree, here are a British George V silver threepence and sixpence. The threepence has three acorns, and the sixpence six!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, England gave the world:

"Mighty oaks, from little acorns grow."

So, it seems an appropriate design for its coins!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969 The Bahamas.
15 Cents - Elizabeth II
Reverse
Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)

Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
372 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A parallel meaning to their use on French coins?

Prior to posting this 1943 1 franc coin, I attempted to do my own search of the flora symbolism just to better understand it.
In doing so, I came across this thread on this forum from 2009 which started out as a quest for rating the condition and values, but quickly evolved to the oaks symbols. Still not sure I understand completely, but some great discussion by some very knowledgeable people just like on this thread, but some 12 years earlier.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=54703

....... for what it's worth.... and great sctuff !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabefree: Thanks for the post and the link to the previous CCF discussion - quite a discussion of history! I thought it was terrific!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM issued its first commemorative nickel dollar in 1970; it marked the 100th anniversary of Manitoba joining the Canadian Confederation. Manitoba was the first addition to the original Confederation that was formed in 1867; it joined founding members New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec.

The commemorative design presents a prairie crocus, the provincial flower of Manitoba, with three blossoms - two open and one closed. The design is the work of Raymond Taylor, a Canadian artist who won an open design competition staged by the Mint in 1969. Taylor's design was a unanimous choice among the selection committee and earned him $3,500 for his efforts. Walter Ott, an engraver within the RCM, modeled the design from which the dies were ultimately created.

For a more complete discussion of this Canadian commemorative dollar, check out:

- 1970 Manitoba Dollar and Expo '70 in Osaka

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1914 A Germany
1 Mark - Wilhelm II type 2 - small shield.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8797 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive branches and Cedar of Lebanon on a 1972 Lebanese 25 piastres:
Edited by NumisRob
05/10/2021 04:54 am
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 160 / Views: 3,503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05