Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 1909-S Indian Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 556Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - While the 1877 Indian cent is the indisputable key date of its series from the standpoint of overall cost and popularity as a rarity, the 1909-S has the lowest mintage and, in that respect, has a fair claim to "key" status. This San Francisco issue from the last year of the series is a challenging date and difficult for many collectors to obtain, due to its overall cost and - for those building top-end sets, scarcity of nice Mint State examples.

Indian Cent, 1909-S 1C Indian, BN, PCGS MS65BN

A Look at the 1909-S Indian Cent
The majority of the Indian cent series, designed by James B. Longacre and running from 1859 through 1909, was struck at the Philadelphia Mint. This is not for reasons of coincidence or convenience, but legality. The first Indian cents made outside of Philadelphia were made only after 1906, with passage of a law permitting branch mints to strike minor base-metal coins. The first of these branch issues came along with the 1908-S Indian cent, itself a semi-key collectible with a mintage of 1,115,000. But the 1909-S Indian cent saw a far smaller output of just 309,000 - lower than the mintage of any other business-strike Indian cent.

This last-year issue was saved in large numbers. Due to the throngs of collectors who held onto these coins from the onset from bank rolls and other sources of uncirculated specimens, the 1909-S Indian cent is scarce in lower grades. Even still, the 1909-S is a rare coin with a steep price regardless of grade and sees a relatively small spread in values across much of the grading spectrum.

Read the Entire Article

Check out 1909-S Indian Cents on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I have both, I found a few more 1877's (mostly in poor condition) compared to the 1909-S. I didn't find many and those I did find usually had issues. Happy to have both though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good link, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said last week, I have a spot in a Dansco for her.

I have a few on my eBay watch list right now. I really wanted to get this one at a coin show, but I am not sure when that will happen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jBuck,

I sent you a message.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have both the 1877 and '09-S Indian Head cent on my key and semi-key want list... One of these days I'll find the "right" ones!
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sent you a message.
I got it, thank you! I have bookmarked the dealer (and added some to my watch list). I assume you give them a thumbs up?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assume you give them a thumbs up?

Yep, I haven't purchased much from them, but they shipped fast and the item was as described. So yes
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not familiar with the Indian cents at all , Ive only came across a few in Roll searching. But now knowing how scarce the 1909-s is The search is on lol.
As Above, So Below
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Salmotrutta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its been a few years since I've read Rick Snow's analysis of the 1877 issue. He attributes just one reverse die utilized in 1877. With a typical die lifespan of 200K coins, for that one die to last through 854,000 coins is highly improbable. If I recall, he doesn't absolutely refute the mint's figures, but basically insinuates that many fewer than 854,000 were actually minted. Possibly fewer than the 09-S.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05