Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Sellers: Anyone Using Ebay's New Standard Envelope For Coins?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,899Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used the Standard Envelope once to ship a low cost coin. I inserted a thin cardboard sleeve to make the envelope more stiff.
I think it kinda worked, but in the future I will most likely continue to use bubble enveloppes and not these Standard ones. Too much chance at damaging coins in the Standard Envelopes.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I would have read this thread a little closer. Or ebays instructions a little better. Missed the $20 limit thing. Not a big deal, but I did have one auction go for more than I expected. Normally a good thing, but I include shipping. At $20 it would have been .51, at $22 it was $3+ So I've decided to stick with BIN $20 and under if I use it. I also didn't seem to be able to use it when the same person bought two $15 coins.

In my situation it might come in handy. I live in the country. 10 miles from a post office. I try to have all my auctions end on Sunday, so I can make one trip to the PO on Mon. Our incoming mailbox is a shared, multiple house one. With only a slot for outgoing. So in the past I have avoided low cost BIN listings. Something sells on a Wed, And I've got to go all the way to the PO, it's just not worth it.

But coins I can put in a thinner envelope is a 100 yard walk. I've got way too many world coins. Lot's of duplicates. Some very valuable, but lots in the $3-5 range. So bundling 4 or 5 together, charge $20 and get .51- .91 shipping, just might work. Or at the very least I can break even. And free up some space in my binders. lol

The lack of tracking at my local PO doesn't bother me. It scans at my regional one. And things usually get there that night. But a lack of confirmed delivery is troubling. The one I was able to use it on has said out for delivery for the last three days. What triggers delivered?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, I ordered some of the ebay thicker envelopes. I'll let you know if I send one and ebay or the USPS freaks out. Love the "can't be too thick but buy ours" mentality.

I had ordered some on Amazon. Not that thick, but thicker than paper. Basically the feel of a paper grocery bag. First one I pulled out of the package fell apart before I could even use it. 2k+ 5 star reviews. Had to use packing tape to seal the sides and flap. Too much hassle for a stinkin envelope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lack of tracking at my local PO doesn't bother me. It scans at my regional one. And things usually get there that night. But a lack of confirmed delivery is troubling. The one I was able to use it on has said out for delivery for the last three days. What triggers delivered?

It is my understanding that on the eBay standard envelope all tracking information is done by the sorting machines. I can not answer how the post office sorting machine separate out foe delivery and delivered. I have also noted sometimes a large gap of days between out for delivery and delivered. I had some that get the out of delivery tracking, but are not tracked as delivered. The tracking for the eBay standard envelope has some bugs, and it may not be fixable with the current mail sorting machines.
Edited by Slider23
06/02/2021 09:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2315 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would try this but it just seems like there is too much chance of a coin being damaged. Another eBay fail.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another annoyance is that it seems shipping takes much longer than usual with these "Standard Envelopes". A customer of mine complained he hadn't received his purchase for over two weeks now. Not sure what to do about it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thicker envelope sold by ebay got though just fine, at the small envelope rate. Took it to the post office on Mon (Memorial day). Put in the envelope drop slot rather than the package one. Had other packages too. Tracking showed it arriving at my regional PO Tues night. Showed as delivered Today (fri). 4 days. Positive feedback, "nice coin, fast shipping." So I know it arrived undamaged.

Other packages I sent the same day aren't there yet. Just kind of random on what might be quickest. Or why this one has "delivered" and my previous one still doesn't. Even though it's been out for delivery a week. Sent a message to that buyer. Wanting to confirm they got it. No response. But I'm sure if they didn't get it, I would have heard by now.

I ordered the largest size of the ebay envelopes. 6x9 I think. I have fine motor skill issues. So I have a hard time trimming down any labels. My wife will help, but I hate bothering her. So I got the largest size specifically because I want to be able to slap the half page label on it. Didn't even consider weight. Envelope alone is over 1.6 oz. In hind site, I should have got the smaller size. But I do like the added protection of the thickness.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is my understanding that on the eBay standard envelope all tracking information is done by the sorting machines. I can not answer how the post office sorting machine separate out foe delivery and delivered. I have also noted sometimes a large gap of days between out for delivery and delivered. I had some that get the out of delivery tracking, but are not tracked as delivered. The tracking for the eBay standard envelope has some bugs, and it may not be fixable with the current mail sorting machines.

Thanks for this information. It clears up a few things for me.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thicker envelope sold by ebay got though just fine, at the small envelope rate. Took it to the post office on Mon (Memorial day). Put in the envelope drop slot rather than the package one. Had other packages too. Tracking showed it arriving at my regional PO Tues night. Showed as delivered Today (fri). 4 days. Positive feedback, "nice coin, fast shipping." So I know it arrived undamaged.

Nice to know we can drop these in mailboxes instead of having to go to the lobby!

Quote:
I ordered the largest size of the ebay envelopes. 6x9 I think. I have fine motor skill issues. So I have a hard time trimming down any labels. My wife will help, but I hate bothering her. So I got the largest size specifically because I want to be able to slap the half page label on it. Didn't even consider weight. Envelope alone is over 1.6 oz. In hind site, I should have got the smaller size. But I do like the added protection of the thickness.

I just used my coupon to purchase the eBay envelopes. I purchased the smaller 5" x 7" size figuring I might get an extra coin into it!

I asked at my local PO about these as I thought they might be too rigid to go first class mail, but they confirmed these are fine. Since I use a 4 x 6 thermal shipping label I'm hoping I can modify the print area to print horizontally as required.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's still a huge number of sellers of the type who want buyers to pay far more for shipping than the value of the coin(s). Maybe they'll start to wake up.

I, myself, have sold sporadically on eBay. They have me locked into their "quick listing tool". This means that the standard envelope is not an option, much to my dismay. At one time you were allowed to switch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to give anyone considering using the eBay standard envelope a heads up as the sorting machine tracking has issues. I shipped 45 coin packages using the eBay standard envelope. My packages are #10 white envelope with a safe T mailer, and eBay label. About 20% of the packages had tracking issues. 3 coin packages dropped off at Post Office Box never received any tracking. It appears all 3 packages made it to buyer. One package had tracking to the city of delivery, but was never delivered and buyer requested a refund after 3 weeks. Five packages made it to out for delivery, but not shown as delivered. One package shown as delivered, but not delivered and the package showed up at buyer's mail box the next day. `
Edited by Slider23
06/13/2021 10:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider23, as a buyer I've had tracking indicate "out for delivery" in a different city in my state for three mailings. I still got the first coin and am awaiting to see what happens for the other two recent purchases. Had no drama for a forth mailing.
Edited by otto
06/13/2021 7:15 pm
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tliebau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you ship the coins in a safe t mailer, do you keep the coins in a cardboard flip? Soft plastic flip? Small zip lock bag? I'm wondering how you keep the coins secure and not moving around during shipping. Thanks. Great thread. I'm learning a lot!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tliebau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jbuck. &
I'm still a noobie, but using some of my free time to learn about Lincoln cent varieties. I love ken peavey's youtube and millionpennyproject website. I'm really sad I started coin collecting after his passing. I would have loved to communicate with him and pick his brain. Alas, I'm still having fun. Doing some coin roll hunting on boxes of pennies...but life is busy and finding time for my coin hobby is hard to come by.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,899Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05