Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Sellers: Anyone Using Ebay's New Standard Envelope For Coins?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 3,863Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3254 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When you ship the coins in a safe t mailer, do you keep the coins in a cardboard flip? Soft plastic flip? Small zip lock bag?

I have been shipping with the cardboard flip in the safe T mailer, but I would not have any issue shipping in a soft plastic flip. With postage my cost to ship a eBay standard envelope is about $1.50 per package.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tliebau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I want to try my hand at selling some coins and want to do it right. I appreciate your input.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im still learning how to use the standard shipping.

Anyone know why its not an option on Quick listing tool?

I see many auctions that are above $20 but specify Ebay standard Envelope shipping. I was caught out when a sale went above $20 so although I offered free shipping, I had to ship using the First Class service...
I assume to get around this, we would BIN at $20 for a coin, but that misses the point of an auction.

Im planning to use the same generic 6x9 envelope as for normal shipping.

Advice appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the quick listing tool and was confused that "standard envelope" was not a shipping option. But then I've found that when you make a sale you can click on eBay's usual link to printing a label. Then scroll down. You should see the option you're looking for. When listing an item just put in your own price for shipping. In the details section you may want to mention that you intend to use eBay's tracking option. Also don't worry too much about the size of the envelope. I've received smaller manila envelopes and bubble packs. I've used both business envelopes and the smaller size. There is a template you can download on eBay, but I don't remember off the top of my head how I got it. Just make sure that the envelope is flat and no more than 3 oz.

Here is one of my listings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234228639169
Edited by otto
10/13/2021 11:10 am
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the hints.. I will look into it.
Right now I have some auctions using Buyer pays on USPS service, which is normal.

I have a couple of others that I listed as Seller Pays and I chose the Ebay Standard, which it accepted even though they are BIN for above $20, I guess I will have to Pay USPS FC on these.. and learn from it.

Personally I have gone back and forth to Ebay, taking a break for a few months I want to sell my 'unloved' coins to buy more. Not expecting to make too much profit Looking at Vcoins now - prices there seem a bit high... but maybe worth a try.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally I have gone back and forth to Ebay

eBay's always been tough for me. I sell more on another site that I am being blocked from specifying! It's a lot cheaper.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still having good luck with this system. Just sold three more yesterday and one today that will go out in the standard envelope. With only a 100 yard walk to my neighborhood mailbox.

I bought a bunch of cheap vinyl flips. Not good for long term storage. But cheaper for using as packaging material. One coin per flip. Then I print off a paper invoice. Fold it to fit the envelope, and tape the flip to the paper, inside the folds. Keeps the coin from moving around. I also position the coin so it will be about mid high in the envelope. Hoping to keep it away from postal auto cancel machinery.

Early on, 20-25% never showed as "deliverered". Just that they had gotten as far as the buyers local PO. I received a few positive feedback so I know those were delivered. Never heard any negatives or asking "where's my coin". So I assume they all got delivered. Not having a "delivered" status on those coins did not negatively affect my ebay stats.

Lately though 100% have show "delivered and in mailbox". So maybe postal carriers have gotten more used to needing to scan those at delivery.

Couple things I've learned. Doesn't work with bullion. I had a sterling Ford Model T token that was about 1/3 oz. I had listed it with free shipping and under $20, but when the postage screen showed up it wouldn't let me select the standard envelope rate. Had to pay @ $4. I had also put too large an envelope size on some listings. That can be changed at the postage checkout screen. But it took me forever to figure out why it wasn't working.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a sterling Ford Model T token

How did you classify the item? If you had used "Bullion" maybe that was the problem. Maybe some other classification would've worked (i.e. exonumia or tokens). I remember expecting to get eBay Bucks on a silver coin I purchased, but because the seller used "Bullion", I didn't receive. So there are special rules for that category.

P.S. I'm glad "Standard Envelope" has worked out for you. Some items are uneconomic with USPS tracking, but are still a bit risky to send w/o tracking.
Edited by otto
10/15/2021 3:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so, here is my dilemma:
If I list using the quick listing tool, I cannot choose Ebay Standard shipping for coins - I need to move to Business tool
If I list under business tool I cannot add photos directly from my mobile.

SO I need to start the listing on quick listing tool, and then when I am ready to set up shipping I have to move to Business. And then when I need to start another listing, revert back to Quick.

Its doable, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Anyone else get this? What am I doing wrong..
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverexile, Did you read the previous response I made to you? You may not be able to specify Standard Envelope as a shipping option in the listing itself, but you should still have that option available when you go to "Print Label"
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Otto, I did thanks, I just haven't had any sales sub $20 to try this yet.. I hope to soon. My first sale went about $20 so the option was greyed out...
I your listing, I assume you manually put in $1.15 to cover the cost of standards and envelope cost? I havent tried that option.
Ive put on a couple of cheap coins to practice with...

My post was more about the lack of logic of not having the option to use either the Quick listing tool, or the business tool for a simple sale.
Tahnks,
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverexile, The $1.15 was arbitrarily chosen. I have always paid $0.93, though I've received envelopes with as low as 53.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfrederick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used an eBay Standard Delivery envelope at least 200 times over the past few months. Until a few weeks ago it has been great! One lost coin with no delivery recorded by USPS - filed an insurance claim and got my money back in less than 48 hours. The $20 insurance feature is, for me, the most attractive part of this option.

In the past few weeks, however, I have had multiple buyers claim that they never received their coin despite the fact that tracking shows that the item was delivered. One buyer did eventually write to say that his coin came a full week after it was marked as delivered! The most recent buyer never bothered to contact me, but instead went straight to opening an INR case - just 7 days after the coin was purchased. I contacted eBay and was assured that when the dispute window ends, eBay will close the case in my favor since tracking indicates delivery. We'll see.....

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, what has been your experience?

If this continues, I would consider going back to a standard first-class bubble mailer, but don't want to lose the insurance protection offered for "higher" ($10-20) priced coins. Especially since USPS insurance otherwise does not provide coverage for coins.

Thank you for any insights you might be willing to share.

Frederick
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2785 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used it this week for the first time. I also edited my listings to use the less expensive shipping for coins costing less than $20.00.

I did include in my listings that if a buyer purchased multiple items and the total cost is over $20.00 then I will charge my regular rate for tracked shipping in a padded mailer. I'm not sure how that will go.

I also raised my regular shipping from $3.00 to $3.50 since I was losing money on shipping on many of the packages I was shipping.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using it as well.
My only trouble is when I do an auction that is expected to sell for $19-$25 range. If I set the shipping to $1 and it sells for $20+, I then need to switch to First class and that will cost me $3+. Does anyone have a solution for this?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 3,863Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: