Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Gold Clad Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 377Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  8:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add UGRI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having some used, circulated pennies from 1930s 40s and 1950s, which I have cleaned recently. A penny from 1941 surprised me because it has gold clad, and on its side can be seen some very fine engravings which I tried to decipher but don't have the right magnifying glass, and even with that it would be problem to see because of the black ink, which highlight the engravings, worn out, so only some tinny, fine engraving can be seen at some of the marks.
Because it is a wwii penny, first I thought it is made by a secret organization or a cult, One of the mark looks like a flying airplane, perhaps a bomber. I would like to know if there in that time was made any such gold plated penny, or this one is something somebody's manipulation with it.
As it can be seen on the pictures, the gold plate is worn on the Lincoln side of the penny, perhaps when I cleaned, it become damaged. The photos aren't really good but can be seen what I want to show.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can't tell whether it's gold plated based on your blurry pictures. It may be what we call a "woody," which gets a wood-like texture when the the alloy is poorly mixed and some patches are richer in tin and zinc.
This coin isn't worth much more than face, but cleaning, except for acetone, is generally considered a form of damage. Avoid it on valuable coins.

Please, please don't hold hold your coins with pliers!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and woody..... to CCF please no more cleaning
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21314 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And put those pliers back in the toolbox.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15425 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Well the first thing I want to say is don't ever clean your coins . If they had any value now they would be close to face . The other thing as already been mentioned is never hold a raw coin with a pair of pliers . One of the main things about the coin hobby is we want to find our coins in the best of condition , not scratched ,nicked ,dented , stained ,or overly worn .
If you like coins and want to stay with us you need to educate yourself and this forum is the right place you want to be . Ask questions ,post photos and have fun collecting .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And put those pliers back in the toolbox.

No kidding. Got to admit - I've never seen anybody do that before!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17022 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NEVER clean coins, unless your goal is to devalue them.

The pliers, that's just scary around any coin.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15425 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
never hold a raw coin with a pair of pliers .

Use these instead .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cringed when I saw the plier jaws holding the coin..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05