Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1677 Charles II Crown! Some Questions-

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 282Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi coin collectors! The 1677 Charles II Crown arrived today - I have to say I'm impressed with the delivery time, which was much, much faster than that of The Royal Mint.

This is of course, from GB Classic Coins. I have to say that the colour looks a bit more dark than I did expect. Can someone confirm that it is, in fact, genuine? I have taken a photo of the edge inscription as well.
I also have some questions! Can someone please answer them?
Which mint was this coin struck at? Was it at the Tower of London? If it was The Royal Mint, which mint was it? What is the mintage figure for this Charles II Crown?

Also, if someone could provide some interesting facts or history behind this coin, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58262 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to remove the coin from the plastic before taking pics straight on, then crop and enlarge the images.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog Thanks! I will post photos below.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some photos without the case here. I was very pleased with the overall presentation and service.

Edited by hwilkinson
05/07/2021 1:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what do you guys think?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
630 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, and I can see no reason why it shouldn't be genuine. I am assuming it cost you a pretty penny but part of that is what you pay for it coming from a decent dealer so you can be sure it is good.
I am afraid I cannot come up with any fascinating nuggets of extra information. 1677 is one of the more common dates for Charles II Crowns, and I don't think there was any astounding bits of history for that year.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB
Yes, thanks! It was definitely not cheap. But I would say it was definitely worth it, and like you said coming from a reputable dealer.
Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2652 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Questions answered.

1. Blackened in parts through wear. These coins had a high silver content and wore down easily. Oils from fingers caused stains, add to that the humid British climate and unless it was in the hands of Lord Foppington - people had awful hygiene back then - so hence many unwashed hands smearing their grease and oils over it.

2. It was struck at Tower Mint, which was in the Tower of London in mint Alley, this was the main mint in Great Britain in 1677. There were provincial mints in the Civil War (1642 - 1649) and for the Great Recoinage of 1696 - 1701, but in 1677 it was strictly Tower Mint only.

It was the known as The Royal Mint, but in the Tower. The Royal Mint building you see of the past dates from 1811 - 1816 and built by Robert Smirke, it housed the steam coin presses for coins minted from 1811 onwards (Tokens) and 1816 (General coinage). The Tower Mint was in use at least from the late 13th century through to around 1810.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane thanks so much for answering my questions! Very interesting things I didn't know before.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane I have one more question, I don't know if this is a pointless question or not, but do you have any idea what this coin could be used to buy in 1677? Would it have been a large amount of money or a little? What do you think it would be worth in today's money? I'm just interested. Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05