Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Coin Should I Stick In My Book?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 463Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  1:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have a normal well struck coin and a 'frosty' version of the same coin (not proof frosty). assuming that both coin are in the same general condition, which should I save. I'm thinking the frosty one was chemically cleaned at some point? what else would cause the frost?

Edited by shathe
05/07/2021 2:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'll need pics to help!
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i knew that would be the first response! lol. ok trying to take some...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1720 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance you can post up full coin images of both coins?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
which should I save

Is there a reason why you can't save both?

Put the piece you like best in your book or are you looking to put the one with the most premium there?

There are no rules as to what one SHOULD keep and pass on, this is your collection, build it as you see fit.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shathe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Is there a reason why you can't save both?

Put the piece you like best in your book or are you looking to put the one with the most premium there?

There are no rules as to what one SHOULD keep and pass on, this is your collection, build it as you see fit.[quote]

good point, but I just don't want to save a coin that's been damaged/devalued/altered previously (not that these are worth anything). sort of like why I wouldn't want to save a coin that's been platinum plated or painted. i'd like to be able to tell whether a coin is in its "original' condition, so this is as much about learning what happened to make these coins different as it is which one is more "valuable". that's all.

Edited by shathe
05/08/2021 12:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you had to choose between one or the other look at the condition. One has an obvious distracting mark on the cheek, the other does not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I'd go with the one on the left. Assuming it's as MisterT mentioned.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
book the one without the cheek mark
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics aren't the best, but I'd agree based on what I can see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3715 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you flip the position of the coins in the first and second picture? Because I would pick:

Right coin in Pic 1
Left coin in Pic 2 and 3
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree...looks like the coins flip-flopped. #2 in first pic and #1 in second pic.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
good point

Gack no! That would mean something I'm not ready to live up to, lol.

Quote:
i'd like to be able to tell whether a coin is in its "original' condition

Amen, me too. I really enjoy collecting but there is so much to digest. It's a good thing I'm old, I can blame my ignorance on that! Let's just hope we don't get taken by the shysters out there.

Good Hunting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 463Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05