Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sharing My Dad's Four Silver Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 522Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father either is or is-not giving me his 4 silver dollars... one minute he wants to sell them, one minute he wants to keep them because his father gave him at least one of them... So I am saying I am "baby sitting" them for now! I had never seen a Morgan or Peace in person before so I was happy to finally hold some!

All the Morgans I see online are nice and silvery, but all four of these coins are dark. There are traces of interesting toning, but I know we are not supposed to clean coins, so does the dark color = less desirability? I think they look sorta nifty that way...

ANYHOO, sharing pics just to share AND to see what folks think I/we should do with them. I assume there's no point in putting them in capsules?

1921-D

1923-S
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I inherited about 20 Morgans and Peace dollars from my grandfather. Maybe a couple nicer than yours, and many of lesser quality (including 4 that are the charred remains of a housefire in the early 80s). I proudly have but them in the inexpensive paper flips and they made a great page in my binder I have other coins from relatives and world travels in. In these conditions, they are worth only a little over spot silver (they made tens of millions and millions still survive) and IMO holding onto family history and passing it to another generation is worth more than maybe $100-120 of cash that won't last very long. Along with the silver dollars were some V nickels, Buffalo nickels, Franklin halves, and Mercury dimes. I've organized those similar in the binders and have started building out date sets with my daughter starting with my ancestors. For the V nickels, when we finish it will have pieces spanning 5 generations, and I think that is really cool.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Edited by Collects82
05/07/2021 4:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collects82 - Neat photo! See though most of yours are still rather silvery...

I have always envied people who have neat things passed down through the family, valuable or not... I swear no one on either side either kept anything, or bothered to pass anything down! Or there were just too many kids (my father is one of 14 kids, Ma had tons of aunts/uncles). I do know one grandmother left coins to a nephew but that's about it! It's rather sad, really...

ANYHOO, I agree about the cash I might get for them... 2-3 tanks of gas and GONE! ;-)
Edited by Nells250
05/07/2021 4:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58066 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd hold on to them as a keepsake.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Peace one confuses me... how can the outer areas wear more/faster than the raised eagle?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't wear. Just a characteristic of the design. The lettering was in VERY low relief and the edges weren't sharply defined. The lettering is often weak even on well struck MS coins.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And as a neat little side gig, you could try attributing them by vamming on vamworld.com, never know, you might have a nice surprise hiding .
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hold on to them.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 - interesting, I didn't know that!

mrwhatisit - that VAMmy stuff looks super complicated! I don't think I have the attention span for it! People into that aspect of things are way WAY more OCD than I have ever been!

I say it all the time now... I thought stamp collectors were nuts when it comes to varieties!

Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed Nells250, vamming is quite complicated, I do it whenever I acquire a new silver dollar for the fun of it.

I too acquired a decent amount of antiques from my dad, especially his coin collection, and he acquired some of those coins from my grandfather. From that platform, I greatly added to it, and have branched out into multiple venues in coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
vamming is quite complicated, I do it whenever I acquire a new silver dollar for the fun of it.

Me too. How could I buy a coin without learning everything there is to know about it?

I'm thinking these may have been cleaned in the past and have re-toned. Hold onto them; the sentimental value is probably worth it. They're also not going to lose value in the long run.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that VAMmy stuff looks super complicated!

(Pertaining to Collects82 coins) It can be but there are only a few to really look at here, the first 3 Morgans and the 1901.

First off what number tailfeathers on the 1878? Assuming there isn't a Mintmark on it. If 8TF then definitely VAM it, if an S mint mark is on either the 1878 or the 1879 then a simple look at the arrows will tell you if you have a super rare one, 1878-S Long Arrow Shaft or 1879-S Reverse of '78 variety slant of the arrow feathers 78 is straight and 79 is slanted. 1880-S look at the 80 in the date for signs of any overdate, usually pretty obvious.
1901 could be the shifted eagle VAM3 strong doubling on the tailfeathers at the bottom (very obvious).

Nells250 I'd try to just purchase the 1885-P Morgan from your dad if you had to pick only one. It's the coolest and best looking IMO (besides the oldest).Going silver value is around $22.00 on them as of 5/2021 It would be worth having at least one to keep - I got my Grandpa's last silver dollar and it's in a holder labeling that and NOT FOR SALE on it. Locked away in my safe. It's worth less than yours is as it's much more worn and also a very common date, but it was his last Morgan dollar he had, so that's why I'm keeping it. I also had my dad's only old coin but it was taken in a home burglary when I was about 16. That I miss still it was an 1892-O Barber dime in Good. My Dad had traded a baseball card for it when he was a kid. Wish I had that to go along with the Morgan from his Dad.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin - I think he is fine with me baby sitting them ;-) No money need change hands... I don't think! Hmmmmm...

Quote:
I'm thinking these may have been cleaned in the past and have re-toned.
Hard to say... one does seem to have a light section BUT I don't think anyone in my father's family was into that sort of thing, unless it was a long LOOOOOONG time ago. Now... my MOTHER'S family, that is a different story!

Incidentally, these coins remind me of a question I posted a while ago regarding grading... what happens when one side of a coin is in better shape than the other?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05