Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I The Only One Who Does Not Get Excited About Fancy Serial Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 267Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ynnad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I the only one here who does not get all excited about fancy serial numbers? If I ever run across a note with serial number 000000001A I would think that would be cool and hang on to it but that's about it. Maybe if I found something other people thought was fancy I would flip it for profit but I really don't look for such stuff.

I am not here to denigrate people who collect fancy serial numbers. If it makes them happy they should go for it and there are billions (or is it trillions?) of notes out there for them to look at.

I don't recall all this hype for fancy serial numbers in the pre-Internet days. Has it always been this way or is this a recent phenomenon?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3501 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no interest in fancy numbers either, but as it's a quick buck many people are into them.

Where else can you get a $1 from the bank and sell it on eBay for $100.

Money is the motivator.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58080 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it pretty well!

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/09/2021 11:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8721 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above!
With Bank of England notes, nobody really paid much attention until internet days. Collectors saved extremely low serial numbers (e.g. A01 000009) and replacement notes, which used to have the letter M as a prefix and later the letters LL. The first and last serials for each Chief Cashier were also collectable. The Bank of England brought out occasional special sets of notes with 'commemorative' prefixes, like HM60 for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, but they were generally seen as a gimmick and usually fetched less on the secondary market than their original issue price.

When the new polymer 10 and 20 notes came out, everything went mad on the internet, with people offering notes with AA01 and AK47 prefixes for ridiculous sums of money. Lots of previous Bank of England notes had AK47 prefixes but nobody took any notice of them before the internet...
Edited by NumisRob
05/09/2021 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3203 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait, What ? !
What's all this blasphemy about Fancy Serial numbers ? Take away the serial numbers and it might as well be a coin. Are you telling me if you got serial number 12345678 or 99999999 or 09999999 and 10000000 together you wouldn't keep them ? Or how about a note with your exact birth date and year...you wouldn't want that ? Tommy Lee Jones says it best...

Pillar of the Community
United States
3501 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't keep it, but I would sell it.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most people don't get excited about collecting currency period, so it stands to reason that within the hobby, people would get excited about different things. I don't have much of an interest in fancy serial number notes, but I would never suggest that collecting them is any less "valid" than what I like to collect. On the coin collecting side, I'm baffled that people will pay big money for what I consider to be meaningless die varieties/VAMs on Morgan dollars. To each their own.
Bottom line, the prices prove that folks like Steve are "right" because they are obviously highly collectable. Good news is nobody can every make you pay for one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05