Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hammered Penny - Saxon? ID Help Please!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  1:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An interesting hammered coin. Not my main area, came from a mainly English collection and had the look of a Saxon piece, though I could be wrong. Any info gratefully received.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also weight - 1.27 grams. Edge is clear with no signs of being either cast or electrotype
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
636 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that is Edward the Confessor, "Hammer Cross" type and the mint is Lincoln moneyer Wulfric, but I stand to be corrected.
Spink ref S1182.
Learn More...
United States
19635 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jeff, I know that you said the edge looks good, but I'm not so sure. It kinda looks to me like the edge has been filed flat and that could be concerning. I'm not an expert in British hammered silver though. Could you please add a couple more pics of this area? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
594 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unconvincingly circular, and the devices are all wrong. Looks like it was whacked out last week.
Obviously, I'm always happy to be wrong....
Edited by Hogarth
05/09/2021 7:30 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all very much for the replies. I'll do another better pic of the edge later today. It is reassuringly uneven in hand, now I've got an ID i'll get authenticity confirmed either way in hand by an appropriate auctioneer or dealer
United Kingdom
43 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stick my neck out and say that it is a copy coin. It denotes Edward the confessor and on the reverse it clearly states that the moneyed is wulfric but it looks too fresh to be convincing
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05