Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold $2.50 Indian Head Quarter Eagle 1914 D

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 622Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was this coin removed from a jewelry setting? That may explain the rings.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not ex-jewelry. These ridge rings are common on the incused Indian gold coins. Looks uncirculated, but pics not sharp enough to zero in on an exact grade.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/09/2021 8:43 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I hope that this photo helps! Thank you all for your time and patience with me!
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are the 1913 and 1928 coins.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is a photo of the 1909 coin set in an old gold prong setting. There are a total of four coins that were turned into cuff links. The 1909 and 1912 are displayed obverse side up with two set downward displaying the quarter eagle. Can the coins be removed by a professional company or is it best to leave them as is? Thank you again for sharing your knowledge. So kind of all of you!
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On these coins the highest point of the design on the obverse is the cheekbone and on the reverse it is the top edge of the eagle's left wing where it meets the head and breast. This may be difficult for someone not familiar with it but you need to rock or rotate the coin under a good light source to see if the original mint luster remains in those areas or if those areas are duller than the rest of the original luster. If duller it would indicate wear and your coin would not grade MS. If the luster is still strong on those areas it will be MS but you still can't determine the actual grade of MS without further knowledge and experience. Your coins all look nice and would appear to be a minimum of AU and possibly MS but it is still hard to determine by these pictures.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mister T for taking the time to explain about the high points of the coins. As far as I can tell their is no wear and the luster is continuous across the entire area of the coins. In my photos the coins appear like they have a matte finish whereas in real life the gold is a beautiful rich color and very shiny. They are very eye catching!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2996 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Frog. The rings happened during the minting process and are common on the Indian $2.50. As noted the photos are not sharp enough to dial in on grade, but the coins appear to be mint state. The value of the coins makes it worthwhile to submit to a TPG for grading. I could recommend either NGC or PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that for a $400+ Indian, it is worthwhile to have the coins graded. Especially if you are looking to sell them later.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper images would really help.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hopefully, I sharpened the image enough for a better image of the piece. Thank you for suggesting that to me Coinfrog!
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OhLuckyMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets stick with one coin per topic..going with the 14 D
Quote: from RedBook..."This new type represents a departure from all precedents in U.S. coinage. Its design features no raised edge, and the main devices and legends are in sunken relief below the surface of the coin."

IMHO...I put this at MS-62/63 and would have it graded if thinking of resale
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05