Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Denarius For Identification #3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 208Next Topic  

44 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
4.19g
20.12mm
4.23g
19mm

Thanks in advance
Pillar of the Community
United States
5855 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be another mash-up fake, mixing - I believe - an Octavian denarius with the reverse of a Republican denarius of Q. Antonius Balbus, from about about sixty years earlier. Same seller, I presume.

These are the types it combines:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2710613
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6994279

Learn More...
United States
23551 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should get your money back from your friend, another fake.
44 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot do that because I am not used to buying something and then returning it, and frankly I trust my friend very much and he is an honest man.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I trust my friend very much and he is an honest man.

Is it possible he's been tricked?

In another thread you insinuate he's a metal detectorist in the UK. I'm familiar with the hobby there as well as the laws, since I find them to be the most equitable in the treatment of ancient artifacts.

Every few years there are attempts by EU countries like Italy to ban the possession of ancient coins, such as the Italian government claiming ownership of all Roman coins. So we ancient collectors have had to lobby our representatives to resist these efforts.

Most of the coins I'm aware of that are found in the UK are bronzes from the 3-5th centuries. Denarii are relatively rare - especially Republican ones.

The good news is that these fakes are relatively easy to spot. There are some that are so good that I know people who have left the hobby because they can no longer trust their own eyes.
Edited by jskirwin
05/10/2021 08:36 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 208Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05