Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-P Seated Half Dollar PCGS #4

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8021 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:27 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1883-P PCGS

So, a little backstory on these four half dollars...

A client and friend of mine is considering buying either two, three or all four of these halves. There are for his seated half set. Two coins are slightly higher grades then his other coins, and the other two are in line with the grades he has been concentrating on. All are pretty affordable (to him) and he likes choice coins with original surfaces, which I believe all of these are, I hope to see them in hand soon. These photos are all I have for now, sorry on the size I messed with my photoshop skills and was able to make them a bit larger without sacrificing quality. I was able to find one PCGS TrueView (1844-O) and one set from an older auction (1845-O) I added those photos in-line, hope they are decent enough to at least play guess the grade.

I think all are correctly graded by the TPGs nothing really over graded or under graded, one has a CAC sticker (which may make that coin go above his budget). There is a little surprise mixed in as well, see if you can spot it, it's not very obvious, and unless you know the series well maybe near impossible, yet a good learning point.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/09/2021 11:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4544 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-63CAM from these pics
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, PR-63 CAM.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as I see it PF-63
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8607 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62PL
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't make out what are contact marks and what are die polishing lines.

PR63/64 CAM

Edit: looking at 2 of these, I'm not so convinced they are proof, but I don't know this series well enough. I feel like I have a learning experience coming my way!
Edited by Ty2020b
05/10/2021 12:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10155 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64PL
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR62 Cameo.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
260 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PF64
Pillar of the Community
United States
8021 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay since the guesses have died off it's time to reveal the grades.

The key is none of the four half dollars I posted are proof, they are all business strikes, though two of them (#3 & #4) look a lot like proof coins. Also all were submitted for CAC and only one got approval (that one might surprise you).

The only NGC coin in the bunch. This one is Cert #1635399-004 MS65PL (No CAC Sticker).

I'm glad this one was graded with a PL as it sure shows it and is fully deserving of that designation. This coin is also the sole finest graded example, but much more in line in price with what I think my friend can stretch financially to acquire. This one is has a good shot of going into his collection and being the finest known example coin he really wants. There are a few luster breaks to note in the left section of the rock near the base and a few areas in the field to the right of Liberty.

Only 3 1883-P Seated half dollars have been designated PL (Only NGC puts the PL designation on a label) and I can't find any that have sold in auctions, this may end up becoming out of our reach because of that alone, I know we will be competing with some deep, deep pockets.

Well that's it for the four half dollars, nobody was even close on this one either, I suspect it was due to the photos more than anything, sorry about that. Panzaldi was the closest as he got close to the grade number and had the PL (non proof), many of you guessed PL or Cameo Mint State, so congrats on that. But IMO there were still too many Proof guesses on a non proof coin, they can be deceiving I admit, out of the 4 coins I posted this coin is the most deceiving by a long shot.

I put Seated coinage, Shield nickels, the toughest coins to definitively tell the proof from business strikes, following that would be 3 Cent silver and nickel coins, Buffalo nickels, Liberty nickels and Lincoln cents. Not including the esoteric maybe proofs (half cents, Bust halves, Commemoratives, Peace dollars, 1921 Morgan Zerbe proofs, presentation strikes, etc.) for those one really needs an expert to weigh in, someone that has seen and handled several of them and studied the particular coins in depth over the years.

Hope you all had fun and thanks for playing along.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/12/2021 2:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorta missed that one!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/12/2021 10:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW those were 4 touch coins to grade from photos...Thanks for taking the time to post them...Fun to see the results
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Breathtaking! Your pics are as close as I'll ever get to a beauty like that. Wowzers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05