Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women Of Rome - New Addition, Faustina Sr Denarius - ID Confirmation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 180Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
836 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed people were reviving some of the women of Rome threads, so I figured it was the perfect time to post one of my other new additions. It is a Faustina Sr with a Pietas reverse. I believe it to be RIC 394a https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric...ina_I/i.html

What I am wondering is, are the reddish brown spots encrustation or is it copper showing through and this is a course? I think it is encrustation, but just want to make sure.

Weight is 3.60 grams which seems fine for me for a Denarius of this time. Thank you for any help and let me know if I got the attribution wrong.
Edited by brenpickle
05/10/2021 9:42 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know only you can take the photo needed. You have to have the camera in very close setting then hold it to the light so it looks like the person seeing the coin is traveling across the surface. In my experience a person can see if the silver is on top or the encrustation. Now if this was a surface encrustation that was scrapped off the silver might look higher and the damage was rooted in the coin, but we'd see more of a pitting there. So I think there is a photo to be had to give us a better view. You can see below I can't pull that resolution out or the correct angle from your photo. Also, a later coin a person can make a case for the acid wash they did on the mixture before the strike so the spongy noble silver does look plated after the strike, but this is early enough the center should not be red like later coins would have and still be ancient. New photo please?

Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/11/2021 12:11 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 180Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05