Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 DDR Lincoln Cent Found By Rookie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  

United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi.. please forgive the poor quality of the photo. I had to hold the coin microscope to the lens on a phone with a bad camera.. please also be respectful that I am new to the hobby.. many months ago I dealt with condescension and it turned me away from the hobby and the forum.. I enjoy hunting but enjoy respect and patience more.. with that said I have looked online and have not seen this before and it is in fact my first double die so I am skeptical.. please advise

Edited by Crazieon
05/11/2021 08:19 am
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see something on the top of the o as well but not as prominent in the photos
Pillar of the Community
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe its Machine Doubling. Others will weigh-in.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39445 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD to me also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7237 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is called Machine Doubling. Please search for it here on the forum to understand it. It adds no value.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much and I will look into MD further.. I had my hopes up regarding a 92 with "ghosts" that appear to be deterioration and go back in the cookie jar
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51712 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the Machine Doubling. The die that struck your coin is also showing extreme die wear, (note the outside edges of the devices, slope angled to the rims?) with the metal moving towards the rims. So it is not a doubled die.

I guess I'm always talking about die state of coins, alot. But what do I see that others and new ones may be missing. Well I found 8 different die examples for the reverse on this year so show the progression of die wear. These are not distinct die states, but the flow of wear that the die experiences, so you can start to see what I'm seeing on the die wear pattern.

You will note the flow lines, the die wear and the weakening of the devices. The note how as the die ages, it looses it freshness that it had when it started out new. (These are not all from the same die, but examples of how the dies age.) Dies don't age like wine, they age more like milk. LOL

CoopHome: The reverse memorial die aging process.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/11/2021 11:30 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58249 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD for sure.

to the CCF!
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.. thank you so much for the detailed obotos showing change . I think because I technically have not seen a double die yet I am reaching
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is the "ghost" I referred to that I was told is Die Deterioration
. The 9 and the 2
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazieon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One final thing before I delete my account.. and take these into coinstar so I can buy food.. I do not have wifi and data is limited.. I picked up the Red Book like it was suggested months ago when I was pushed away but it was not very helpful regarding errors and 95% of it was not really applicable to my situation.. how helpful will the Cherry Pickers Guide be as a physical reference for any errors I may stumble across since I will not be active or online? Is there a different noon..

I will like to thank everyone for not being condescending and for taking the time..

No disrespect.. after my own encounters and reading how people get talked down to I leave with this .. May I suggest that some of you need to lighten up and be nicer to new members.. a few bad apples can tarnish your community and leave a sour taste in your mouth.. more people like the ones who came to my post are needed because they were inciteful, patient and listed great sources and photos.. many respect for this group.. yes, I was treated that poorly and rudely my previous visit here.. perhaps I will come back because of this group but not worth the risk of running into things I saw being said today on other posts..

I will check back regarding any hopful replies about the Cherry Pickers Guide before signing off..

#9996;#65039;#10084;#65039;Safe travels on Spaceship Earth#10024;#128406;
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39445 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
6017 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason we direct new people to the Red Book is to acquaint them to the types of coins found in general searching. You need to know the typical coins before you find abnormalities to help you find them. Not all coins are error coins, error coins are rare. You can go through boxes and boxes of coins before you find any sort of error coin, and even then, there are no guarantees you'll find one. It is not easy to find true error coins, but with time and patience and a lot of luck, maybe, just maybe you'll find one someday. I'll say this again because it's important, no all coins are error coins. Become familiar with what a normal coin should look like AND acquaint yourself with the minting process and you'll train your eyes to spot the abnormalities. Bonne chance!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39445 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Side note: error coins and variety coins are two different things. You are much more likely to find varieties than errors.
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05