Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909-S-VDB - Professional Options For Reversing "Cleaned"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 896Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rwkiii to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hate to even post this topic. I'm quite embarrassed. :S

Recently bought a 1909-S-VDB RED UNCIRCULATED. A raw coin that pictured well. I bought it at an MS63+/MS64 price. Sent it to PCGS and it's on its way back - UNC - CLEANED.

I don't know what value to put on this coin now. My opinion was that it would likely grade MS65, but prepared for an MS64.

I have 3 questions:

- If this were not a cleaned coin, what grade do you feel this coin is? 64, 65?

- What do you feel its value is in a PCGS - CLEANED slab?

- Probably the most important to me, is there a legit service to 'fix' a cleaned coin so that PCGS will grade it?

Keep in mind, I'm 62 so I don't have forever to wait for natural toning to occur! :P

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Others may disagree, but in my opinion you're unlikely to ever get this into a straight MS holder from either of the two major TPGs.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/11/2021 6:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can still return it to the seller, do that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But now it is in a PCGS Details slab. Maybe talk to the seller and explain the situation. If he won't accept a return then maybe a partial refund?
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above, seek a refund.

You could make it a pocket piece... and maybe it straight grades AU, but more likely it would not holder until it reaches XF. Paying MS63+/MS64 money for an AU or XF coin though...
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rwkiii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably unable to resolve this with the seller. They're evasive. It was an auction that listed the item as UNCIRCULATED and a description of MS64 RED and a PCGS price guide.

So, it's my fault apparently for not being able to know it was cleaned. Looking at the coin now, I know...

I'd have to file complaints to get my money back - FTC, State AG, etc. Not the easiest or quickest solution, but there might not be another - pocket. I would never intentionally circulate this coin. I'm sure it's worth more as UNC CLEANED than it is AU. I hear some collectors don't fault properly cleaned coins. This one was dipped or soaked. I don't see any brush marks even at 1200x.
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure it's worth more as UNC CLEANED than it is AU.
I have to agree. You might be able to sell it as-is to an album collector and minimize your losses. No sense trying to chase a straight grade holder. I hope you the best.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for shucks, is the color you show above for the coin actually this pale and washed-out?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4345 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with jbuck (above).

Just curious, does the seller appear to have thousands of successful sales? Are some questionable?
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rwkiii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is the color of the coin.

I didn't purchase this on eBay. It was an auction on HiBid. If I had purchased it on eBay I'd had some buyer protection!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rwkiii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the color, I really interpreted the color as just an over-exposure. It didn't dawn on me that a reputable outfit would clean a coin like this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It didn't dawn on me that a reputable outfit would clean a coin like this.

It may be that they didn't clean it but they sure as Heck didn't mention cleaning/questionable color to make a sale........so that, to me, would throw their reputation out the window.
Edited by Rothery
05/11/2021 7:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So who was this "reputable outfit"? It's okay to name names here. What exactly were the terms of this sale - was a return explicitly denied?
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind this was nearly 5yrs ago...so I don't know if this applies?
https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...-Unc-Details
Looks like UNC-details are half price.
I have a couple of war stories myself...just not ready to confess my sins yet.
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't appear to have the luster that it should have in that condition and there is no way to get that back.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17017 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot "unclean" a coin. With MS coins, the luster is ruined. The only two options are:

1) Pocket piece, wear down to AU.
2) Re-tone and hope it improves.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05