Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Going Into A Coins Shop Both Perspectives.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So if when someone is to go to a coins shop. What are some things to expect a dealer to do when you let them handle a coin. I went to show a folder full of coins and I was very careful in handling them though still circulated, they point at the coin telling me things about it. I felt like the way they handled them may leave a finger print. Not sure if I should be concerned also let me ask what complaints have there been in a dealer handling coins. This was a young kid. Also I didnt say anything since I was asking for help. Forgive me if it makes me nervous but I try to be careful when handling coins. Is this just me? Id like to hear what people are concerned about when handling coins.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This reminds me of an experience...

The dealer I went to wasn't a dealer and I wasn't in a coin shop. The seller was a pawn shop worker and I was in his store. He had a very nice, albeit small, collection of Canadian Silver Commemorative/Centennial coins in capsules. I wanted to take a closer look at the 1979 Griffin Silver.

He opens the capsule and tosses the coin to the counter... Gack! I handle the coin gently by the rim and take my loupe to it. I ask the price and... cough, gag... $50 bucks he says. I say I'd rather pay $20.

No deal. He grabs the coin as we chat and he starts fingering it... horror... he grabs a cloth and starts polishing it. I walk out disgusted exclaiming that it was now about a $10 coin, lol. I haven't seen not one coin in his shop since, although, I don't go there hardly ever.

White gloves were my second supply purchase after the magnifying glass and loupe when I first began in the craft.

First rule of coin klub... no licking, no touching, no cleaning, lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15419 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be concerned also . Even though the kid wasn't the owner of the shop he should of had the common sense to not finger peoples coins . Next time your at that coin shop let the kid know about it or tell the owner .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4142 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are all jumbled together in a pile, then you have to touch them at least to sort through them.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wasnt in a pile it was in a coin folder... The person was saying a thing or two about how he was looking for certain ones only and as he explained he was all touchy. I dont dislike working with a youngster, I just worry about working with someone that doesn't know how to handle someone elses stuff. Thanks for all your responses I will next time express concern before handing them over to show. A thought came to mind placing a film cover non harmful over the collection for show. I dont know ill have to maybe invest into that. For now its a thought. Anyone have any other stories. These were great!!! Thanks for sharing...
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been to a number of shops, and a lot of them tend to do about the same thing. They'll pull the coin from a flip and sort of hold it by the rim but sometimes just put their fingers anywhere they'll fit. I've seen it at 2 of the 3 shops near me, so I guess they must have hands that are much drier than mine or they just aren't worried about it... can't say the same
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4551 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to a shop about two years ago with some raw UNC morgans just to see what the guy would pay. Not only did he offer me an egregiously low price but when he disagreed with me that they were UNC(they absolutely were...) he also pulled a coin out of its flip and touched the surfaces just like you guys said. I dont care if they do it to their own coins but to do it to mine is unbelievable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1128 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I attended a coin show this past weekend. My niece, who collects world coinage, was looking at a small box of ancient bronze priced at $20.00 each. There weren't many, perhaps a dozen, more box than coin. We both carefully pushed them to where we could examine them by holding the edge only. The dealer stood there, silent, with that look of "Why bother?". It's called staying in the habit, or natural instinct. So yes, it matters and infuriates me when someone improperly handles a coin.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, I prefer to handle a dealers coins as if they were my own, by the edges for raw coins, with the exception of bulk coins until I see something I like.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A thought came to mind if you want to see a coin and grab it the same way you experienced. That is of theirs would u expect them to be fine or would they even let u hold them? I dont think u should though but Its just a thought. So I can ask this in reverse on a different post but not sure if it would be frowned upon for asking something similar on a different post. I do appreciate all of your responses I thought it was just me over-reacting or something. If there is a proper way of handling coins then should it not be handled by the rim. So much to say so little time hahaha! Ok I'm calm now...
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05