Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 P Wrong Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wow strange looking coin! Dipped in chemical or other material? Note the small figures left of Lincoln's head. maybe planchet problems? I was looking at the coin because I thought it had a doubled ear. What do you think caused the problem. Regards

Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does look like some kind of chemical damage. I see absolutely nothing to indicate a wrong planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3296 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does look like some kind of chemical damage
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39502 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight? Looks like a lot of staining to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the weight. 3.1 grams.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58337 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are all those squiggly areas on the reverse incuse, raised or level with the surface?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6046 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, some sort of chemical damage. Post mint damage ( PMD). Keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39502 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid/chemical damage should reduce the weight. Heat damage the weight should be near normal.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9649 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like environmental damage, that's all.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/11/2021 9:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the stuff on the reverse appears to be incused!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58337 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does indeed, but I thought that might be some sort of optical illusion. If they were raised, thinking an acetone soak might help.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/12/2021 11:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just chalk it up as a damaged coin and spend it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is incused then probably whatever was on it was acidic enough to eat into the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05