Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

21st Century Type Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 394Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any consensus as to what constitutes a complete 21st century type set? eg, would a majority say that every State Quarter and every America the Beautiful Quarter would need to be included ?...I think PGCS lists 35 coins (?) but I think their list includes gold and Palladian coins and a Gold Kennedy......

I suppose one answer is that the type set is what one personally defines it to be and that there is no consensus....I am just curious what people who are into type set collections think.

Thank you for any comments
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would a majority say that every State Quarter and every America the Beautiful Quarter would need to be included ?..

I personally would hope not - Just my opinion but I am so tired of the State and ATB Quarter series. It seemed like a great change from the regular Washington quarter design but then it came to a point where it felt like the ongoing designs were being pushed down the collectors throats. You know it's overplayed when MS68's can't even get over the cost to slab them
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every state and ATB Quarter is a distinct type. A "type" in the coin word definition always includes a distinct design. How could they not include them? Also add the Presidential dollars and the others and you get a lot of coins. You don't have to collect them, but they are types nonetheless.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and if you go with each state and each ATB Quarter, then what about silver vs clad ?....and then, not only the presidential coins, but consider the Native American dollars with all the various different designs......seeems like we could be pushing 300 coins ?!!!!
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If one were assembling a 21st century type set and there was a page for gold, I don't think you could overlook the 2016 SLQ, Mercury dime, and Walking Half but prepare yourself for sticker shock.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty scary to be over 300 coins and only 1/5 of the way through the 21st century...

A lot of people assemble type sets with 1 representative for a larger type (like 1 State Quarter, 1 territory, 1 ATB, 1 president... etc) but even still you end up with lots of holes needed

A full 21st century set though? Let's see what would be in that
Lincoln memorial, all 4 2009 bicentennial Lincoln, Lincoln shield. Jefferson original, 2 2004 L&C Jefferson, 2 2005 new portrait Jefferson, modern portrait Jefferson. Roosevelt, silver proof Roosevelt 0.900, silver proof roosevelt 0.999. Washington eagle, 50 states, 6 territories, 56 ATB, silver proof of all of them, 2021 WCtD. Kennedy half, silver proof Kennedy 0.900, silver proof Kennedy 0.999. Sacagewea dollar, Presidential dollar (40 so far), Native American dollar (13 so far), AI dollars (56 planned). Design centennial gold Merc Dime, SLQ, Walking Half. First spouse $5 gold perhaps (40 so far). The Morgan and Peace 2021 designs. That all puts you at 400 slots.... phew

Do you include bullion pieces? There have been over 20 designs of platinum bullion plus different sizes, then gold different sizes and 2 different designs, then the ASE has 3 designs, plus a privy mark, plus a lettered edge version, there's the paladium eagle. That's a bunch to handle
Do you include the commemorative dollars, halves, and gold pieces? I know there are 43 of the silver dollars from 2000+

That is to say, there's a lot of stuff to look at, and you've got lots of options on what you think you should include. For me personally, if I did a 21st century type set I would stick to 1 example of each series but no silver proofs, no commemoratives, no bullion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As PNW put it, the US Mint is completely out of control.
Just image the US Mint has behaved this way in 1820 or 1920. Would you have bought 400+ varieties of Draped Bust dollars and Seated Liberty quarters? Would you have bought 400+ varieties of Peace dollars?
I bet that Americans at that time would have been outraged and had stormed the US Mint!
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah....it is nuts....I like PNW's list......One definition might be to limit the set to coins that are only in circulation (might still be ok to acquire only the proof or silver version). This definition would eliminate about 1/3 to 1/2 of the coins on his list. It does seem a George Washington dollar is different than a Tom Jefferson one, so I think one needs to recognize these as different 'types', in trying to define a 21st century type set
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shug23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here I am thinking , perhaps the metallic composition of the coin (e.g percent silver) isn't particularly relevant (or certainly not as relevant) as showcasing the various designs, which I think is the fundamental purpose of presenting a type set.....For the same reason why type sets usually don't concern themselves with mint marks (P,D,S,W, O, CC)
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just image the US Mint has behaved this way in 1820 or 1920... I bet that Americans at that time would have been outraged and had stormed the US Mint!
Somehow, I do not think it would have been a priority for them. You know, with the average lifespan being "died in childbirth."
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here I am thinking , perhaps the metallic composition of the coin (e.g percent silver) isn't particularly relevant (or certainly not as relevant)

Could certainly be argued either way. I think the most common example is the Kennedy half, most type sets will include the 64, 65-70, and 71+ because the material kept changing. But I could see why including just one gets the job done too. I see a change of material as a change of type, but that's just my opinion.

If we just look at circulation pieces (no proof, no gold, no ASE, no AI dollars etc) like Shug suggests we would have I think 131 pieces with the Sac dollar but then how many presidents do we include? I've received some up to the 20th president I think in my change, so now we are at 151 pieces, then I believe the Native American dollars technically circulate, so then we are at 164.

All this to say once again, even just looking at what circulated, it's a long list. Now consider that's a period of only 21 years!! And the mint is planning a new series for historical women, then paralympics I think, then 2026 250th anniversary of america, then possible composition changes.... the list goes on and we've got 80 years left in the century
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Somehow, I do not think it would have been a priority for them. You know, with the average lifespan being "died in childbirth."

I still think a government institution should not be in the business of manufacturing consumer products.
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still think a government institution should not be in the business of manufacturing consumer products.
I disagree. I like all the things I buy from the Mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I disagree. I like all the things I buy from the Mint.

Mint engraved tableware? Car body parts plated with silver and with the head of Liberty on it? A silver Liberty freezer door magnet? A silver jewelry box with a Barber design on the top?
Edited by NumisEd
05/13/2021 10:21 am
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh. Do they make any of this stuff now?

Even if they did, I said I like the things I buy. I do not buy it all. Free market, you know. You do not have to buy it or collect it.

A type set it what you want it to be.
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A silver Liberty freezer door magnet?
I have to add... that would hit!

I brought my mini-fridge home from work when WFH became permanent. I am not allowed magnets on the kitchen fridge ("You will scratch it," she says). However, the mini in the home office is fair game. Looks like a race car with all its sponsors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05