Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poor Proof State Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 502Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this Proof California State Quarter in change from a soda machine.
I was shocked that someone would spend it at face value.
I would guess this reduces its value considerably,
or can it still be worth a little more because of the S mint mark?
It is obviously scratched, and the mirror finish looks terrible.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4549 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver or Clad (has copper on edge)? I'm assuming clad...value 25 cents...In that condition I would set it free and put it back to work.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a clad, conversation piece only I guess.
The frost still looks nice :-)
Edited by KoinKorny
05/11/2021 9:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18532 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A circulated proof. As is, value 25 cents.
A keeper, anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Worth face value" is not true at all. One only needs to look at those paying above market average of a mid-grade coin for a coin grading PO-1. ALL coins have a value above face, only in some cases, such as that which this proof falls under and would require a buyer from a much smaller group of collectors. In other words, I am willing to bet that someone is working on a lowest graded proof run for a registry.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
05/12/2021 09:49 am
Learn More...
United States
100633 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always appreciate a proof rescued from the wild. Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2966 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collected so many coins like this when I worked in a game room back in the 80's. I would also find the broken plastic holders in the trash. I found most of the coins when I collected the quarters from the machines at the end of the day.

A kid paid for a Coca-Cola at the snack bar with a perfect proof Ike that he had just taken out of the plastic case, so I asked him where it came from. He said his grandfather had given him sets of coins like this for his birthday starting the year that he was born, but he didn't really like coins. I offered to buy the coin in the holders, but he never came back into the arcade as far as I know.

I can't imagine just how upset his grandfather would have been if he ever found out what the kid was doing.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the comments :-)
Here is another save from circulation, a 2003 one ounce Walking Liberty dollar my son retrieved from the natural food store he was working at a number of years ago. A young person used it to buy a small natural energy bar or something. My son was the manager and asked if he was sure he wanted to spend it? No problem, he said, so later that day my son put in $1.00 and gave it to me, my son knew it was worth more than a dollar. I do find it odd that many have no concept of what silver is worth.

Edited by KoinKorny
05/12/2021 6:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another save from circulation, a 2003 one ounce Walking Liberty dollar my son retrieved from the natural food store he was working at a number of years ago.

That's amazing. With all the dollar coins out there that nobody spends (Ikes, SBA's, Sac's) And nobody called the cops, like the people that try to spend 2$ bills and get accused of passing counterfeits -
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches were new when I got it, but the dark tarnish shows it was never taken care of. I have it in a plastic sleeve in a vault.
Learn More...
United States
100633 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another save from circulation, a 2003 one ounce Walking Liberty dollar...
Fantastic find!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11025 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another save from circulation, a 2003 one ounce Walking Liberty dollar...

Technically that is an America Silver Eagle. What an unusual find in the wild!

This just reinforces that I need to instill the value of my coins/collection into my son before he decides to go cracking slabs to buy a Snickers bar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Herewith We Declare that the American Silver Eagles are NO LONGER NCLT!
Edited by NumisEd
05/13/2021 2:04 pm
Learn More...
United States
100633 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Herewith We Declare that the American Silver Eagles are NO LONGER NCLT!
Not the first one found in the wild, nor the last.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do find it odd that many have no concept of what silver is worth.

Remember you have to be at least around 60 years old to remember silver in everyday circulation. Many young people today probably don't even have the concept of coins possibly being made of silver, and if they do they have little to no idea which ones might be. If they do it is probably because they have been told that "dimes, quarters, and halves before 1965 have silver in them" but a 2003 ASE isn't a dime, quarter, or half, and it isn't before 1965 so unless they READ what is on the coin they won't know it is silver. And a LOT of young people today don't read if they don't have to.

WE know because we are involved with coins as collectibles. But if you were to ask the average non-collector what their coins are made of a sizeable proportion of them probably would have no idea.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7111 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find - I refer to that as an impaired proof.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05