Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Liberty Nickel Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 327Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm a new coin collector, and I recently purchased this https://www.ebay.com/itm/133747087311 1865 liberty head nickel. I really like it, from the pictures it looks perfect, except for that die crack? Is this something that is a common error for that coin, does it have a name(i.e. fs-801 liberty string hair.)
Again I love the coin, just trying to figure out a little more about it. Thanks to dave700x for the numismedia fmv price link. I never would have had the courage to spend over 100 on a single coin without that.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edit sorry, just realized I am supposed to upload image, but I'm not with the coin yet, and can't get saved file to necessary size to fit. I can upload photo when I get to my po box and grab it, but that won't be until friday.Friday. I have a Heritage link where it sold in 2018 which has better pictures https://coins.ha.com/itm/three-cent...ption-071515
Pillar of the Community
United States
1786 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know these but that a cool die clash on the reverse. Here's a good source for clash overlays. http://www.maddieclashes.com/three-cent-overlays/
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah, I was wondering what that was too, almost looks like someone dripped liquid metal around the 3 to me. Awsome to find out what caused it, thank you
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a die clash on the obv as well but it isn't as prominent.
Gary Schmidt
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that the slight ring going around the bottom of Liberty?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is actually a 3 cent nickel, not a Liberty nickel.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add A-Penny-Sold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, boy do I feel stupid haha. I thought it was a type of Liberty nickel. Thanks for stopping me from continuing that particular mistake
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You paid a fair price for this coin IMO. Due to the outstanding luster, many 1865 can be quite dull and grey. The die clash and die break add to the character IMO. Currently I see 3CN 1865 MS64 PCGS coins selling in the $205.00 to 260.00 range so you paid a fair price for a top end coin in my eyes.

I like the die clashes and cracks but other collectors will disagree, many want only perfect coins. Many consider both die cracks and clashing to be a price killer, maybe more than half, so in considering for an investment long term try for perfect coins as good as you can afford, for collector value and fun I always go to the odd and unusual myself.

Nice coin, I'd be happy to have that in my collection.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/16/2021 3:37 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice-looking example for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05