Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Double Clipped (20%) Bronze Transition Lincoln Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 876Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
77 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  05:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flokizomb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I believe this is a Bronze 1983 planchet with total of 20% double clip error Total weight is 2.5g I believe with both clips its .6g have been cut off the total wieght of the penny. Is this a Bronze or any ideas anyone thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was cut. Note the affected areas are not plated. It was a normal coin when it was struck.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the weight is 2.5 grams I would like to see it on a scale with a pic of that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58336 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, attempted deception.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7243 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - cut coin.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note the affected areas are not plated.

So if that is a zinc core cent then after it was cut did someone cover the cut area with some copper metallic paint to cover up the zinc? Pretty sneaky I'd say...
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flokizomb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's the pic on the scale 2.5g

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10300 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

With PMD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing the only way to make sure it's a copper 83 instead of copper coated zinc would be to take it to a Jeweler or Pawn Shop that has an XRF gun -
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzling that it weighs 2.5 grams with the apparent damage. Someone needs to give Mike Diamond a shout.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2436 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm the contrarian here, but I'm not convinced it's entirely PMD with the way the rim on the right side fades into the clip. The one on the left doesn't seem as promising. But the weight is bizarre... What does the clip on the right side look like from the edge?
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you punch in on the tare button. That will set you scale back to zero. Then check the weight.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is still way too light to be bronze.

I agree with the OP's proposition that it would be a 20% clip if the clips are clips because (3.1-2.5)x100/3.1=19%, and therein lies the problem...

Divide the coin into fifths (20%). Now mentally lay those clipped pieces in each slice of that pie. Not close to equaling that slice, is it?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So, in a variation of the ancient, precomputer age method of integration called "cut-and-weigh" paper, I weighed the whole of my model cent and the model cent after clips. I am working from a phone screen. If I were using a computer, I would print the image of the cent and work from that. As is, I think I got close to the correct proportions.

Anyway, the percentage of clipped area inferred from the weight is only about 5.9%.

5.9% of a 2.5 gram zincoln only knocks off 0.15 grams, so 2.4 or 2.3 grams on OP's balance. .

5.9% of a 3.1 gram bronze planchet only knocks off 0.18 grams. On the OP's balance, that would show as 2.9 grams.

The stated measured weight of 2.5 grams is closer to which one?

Edit for spelling and for some sloppiness with significant figures.
Edited by Numiscrat
05/12/2021 11:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that the coin will have a more variable weight distribution across it (higher mass per unit area at rims and in the middle with higher relief devices) than my model, but this picture is closer to representing a 20% clip. I crept in to the correct weight by gradually snipping off pieces.

I have a feeling that we may overestimate clip area on a coin the same way most of us would grossly overestimate blood loss by looking at what has splattered on the floor, or soaked into our pants leg.... Don't ask.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The stated measured weight of 2.5 grams is closer to which one?

So painting the zinc core surface, that was exposed when the cuts were made with a heavy metallic copper paint, actually could have brought the coin back into zinc cent tolerances? And I'm sticking to the paint theory - otherwise how do you explain the copper colored cuts when @coop stated about seeing the copper plating?

EDIT - where's @Silviosi when we need him. Wish we had a "TAGGING" option.
Edited by Rothery
05/12/2021 11:08 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 876Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05