Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales Charles III Pendant Shaped

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

United Kingdom
27 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  05:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gasp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello collectors!
It's been a while, I hope you're all good :)

I'd like to bring to your attention this curious 8 reales minted under Charles III, possibly Mexico, 1776 (last number is not very visible) shaped into a pendant. It should come from a shipwreck, but the previous owner couldn't confirm it. I assumed it looking at the corrosion and black patina.

Have you ever seen a similar one before? I have my own theorises but can you give me your idea about the shape? What does it resemble for you?

Many thanks in advance

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58111 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very interesting for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7216 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting item. I know its not, but it looks like an upside down jellyfish to me!
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It resembles a disaster to me!
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks sort of like a bomb with flames. Similar to a military branch of service insignia I think that was used by the French.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4757 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be the Italian Carabinieri. Good association (I have used that myself on an even earlier coin ... but was wrong).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2288 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a close relative to my Charles X pinback fabricated from a 5F.

As with your charming pendant, it's puzzling why anyone would want to wear the image of a terrible king. April Fools Day maybe.

It could be a very crude heart coin.Sedwick has several pictures of good ones.

https://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/hearts.htm
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
05/12/2021 11:14 pm
United Kingdom
27 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gasp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all your replies :D

However I disagree to those who say that this is a "disaster" or a modern artefact.

@thq got it right in my opinion: I believe it has been cut to resemble a flamed heart, not made to be worn, but as a votive offering to a saint in fulfilment of a vow or in gratitude or devotion.

In many churches in south Italy, especially around the coast (but also Spain and Portugal) it's still possible to find ex voto painting, or silver pendants, given by devoted sailors who managed to escape pirate attacks (Barbary pirates) or sea storms...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2288 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cracks look like the result of heavy clamping to do the reshaping.

Sedwick talks about counterfeit heart coins, but I don't think that is the case with this one. It's just too crude.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
05/13/2021 12:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4757 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though the shape is not so heart-like, I like your hypothesis
The crudeness might reflect that the sailor had limited tools to accomplish this (like WWI trench art executed on spent shells).

As for the flaming bomb hypothesis of @MisterT, perhaps this is the coin he referred to (also Italian in origin)

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05