Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 High Grade 1 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 312Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:08 pm Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A dealer in Europe has this 1859 4 sale. NGC graded.
He is asking a small fortune. Will reveal $$ asking and NGC grade info later. Please give it your best shot.
My questions are:

A is it a low 9?
B what is in your opinion, the proper grade?
C Is it another variety?

Thanks fellows, I know you see this as a challenge.
H
Edited by 47P7
05/12/2021 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 9 is lower than some dies, but as okiecoiner points out often, the 9's are all over the place on the 1859 dies.

There's not much to go on to identify the Haxby number on this one, but if I had to guess based on the stem to leaf 9, I think it is PC59-94 (obverse 32B reverse E34). Clearer photos would help a lot.

It's a beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the size/completeness of the vine break at 7, this was very very early in the striking cycle and with a relatively new die for that reason. As such, it was crisply struck and a nice looking coin. Since the "9" was handstruck into each die, the 9 can be any of 100+ positions for each Reverse die ... the location (high, low, near, far) makes no difference on value. Once a coin looks UNC, I can't tell you a number, but it's nice and I see no popular variety.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you fellows,
NGC grade is MS65
asking price is $ 2700 +shipping of about $50
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05