Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 Shilling - Looking For Opinions On Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
553 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this 1911 shilling as from the photos of the seller it looked like a MS coin.
I've taken my own photos, the ear is really not worn at all and appears to be the highest point.

AU58? Or am I way off here? Opinions welcome.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice strike but lots of small scratches. I would put it GVF to AEF. (Using the UK standard grading, not Sheldon.)
Edited by PaddyB
05/12/2021 1:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 55 imo
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In American standards this looks like high XF or low AU to me. I'll go with AU50
Valued Member
United Kingdom
473 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tatty GVF ;)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
593 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I concur with Paddy and Zookeeperz, UK grade good very fine.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
553 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses. In hand it seems aef.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
593 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

GVF? AEF? I wouldn't dismiss the slightly higher grade, and I'm sure many dealers would list it as such.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8743 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss the slightly higher grade

These early George V coins are quite weakly struck and even Uncirculated specimens don't have many hairlines visible on the obverse.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58218 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50 (Sheldon).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2644 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF to gEF British grading.

Strike was always poor on these, gEF often have full lustre. Light overall rubbing on the hair of the king and moustache tip.

The Lion also has some wear on its nose and this is not stroke as the high rim (Addded to KGV issues of Edward designs like the Lions and the Half crown shields) stopped the lack of detail on poor strike.

Its better than EF, I think some comments like "Tatty GVF" are incredibly harsh. Not all of us can afford stunning MS65 coins all the time and we should encourage rather than insult or belittle people with more ordinary coins.

In my opinion, this shilling is nice and I would be honoured to have it in my collection.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
794 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, this is a solid EF coin by British grading.
My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05