Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS Missing Packages Philly And Wilmington

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Once again I find myself filing a missing package form with the USPS. In this case because of the way the coin was triple packaged, I believe it was stolen by a postal employee rather than simply missing. Wondering if anyone else has had a package missing specifically from the Philadelphia hub or the Wilmington, De. hub.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How would the postal employee know what was in the package? I say Its just missing and will turn up in 6 months
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suspicion is that because it was in a large yellow padded mailer which was folded in half and taped, that it was too thick to be machine cancelled and that it ended up on a postal inspectors desk. Inside the sealed padded mailer was another sealed plain cardboard mailer. Inside the sealed cardboard mailer was a sealed zip lock bag containing a 1921 Peace dollar and the invoice with both sender address and addressee clearly visible without opening the bag. Even if the package had been opened, there is no way they couldn't figure out where it was supposed to be delivered. Keep in mind this package originated less that 100 miles from my location, was shipped via priority mail, and went MIA in Philadelphia where it should have never been routed to in the first place since last scanned in Wilmington, De. Wouldn't be the first time a postal employee stole something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5939 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully, they'll show up.

In case they don't, I hope they were insured for their full values.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4753 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your woes with USPS, and many of us share them, as evidenced by the many threads here.

As mentioned by others, sometimes packages reach their destination much later than we would expect. SO, there is still hope.

What exactly does the tracking say? I had several packages sit in one USPS facility for one or two weeks last summer, then head on their merry way and arrive at their destination.

As for what might have happened it's pure speculation.

Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True that my theory is speculation but speculation based upon my knowledge of what goes on at the post office. My wife is retired from the USPS and my brother in law is a retired mail handled from THAT Philadelphia facility. He seems to believe the same way I do. At any rate The USPS takes no accountability whatsoever. Insurance is a scam because it only covers damage to goods, not lost or missing. Fortunately I have some protection through PayPal and the dealer whom I purchased it from is reputable and said they would resolve the issue if it hasn't arrived by 5/18/21. I really wanted that coin and it will be hard to find at the price I paid for it. Oh, and I am still waiting for a package that went MIA back before Christmas. All I get from the USPS is a form letter stating "issue Resolved" when in fact nothing has changed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5939 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Insurance is a scam because it only covers damage to goods, not lost or missing.

USPS insurance does cover lost and theft of items. You have to prove value of the missing items with documentation and receipts. Just because you say something is worth "this or that" won't cut it. Your word won't cut it. Document everything!

You have to file the claim and file the inevitable appeals. You have to file everything within time constraints. It is a hassle but you can win.

My last lost insured package claim (400$) took about about 120 days from initial claim, thru three appeals, to claim payment.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to make sure it gets there, use Registered Mail.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to file the claim and file the inevitable appeals. You have to file everything within time constraints. It is a hassle but you can win.
An ex-girlfriend and I ended up at different universities. She had my high school class ring and mailed it to me, but I never got it so we filed a claim. This was in the fall semester. I was finally given restitution by the Post Office just as the spring semester ended.

Persistence wins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1118 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had one a few weeks back scanned seven times, all at the Atlanta center. Arrival, processed through, departed, arrival, processed through....", over a four day period.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05