Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Barber Half Dollar You Vs PCGS With CAC Sticker

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 700Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2998 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a white mark on rim next to date that is on holder.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2041 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice toning. It's an old album coin, for sure.

What's happening on the reverse, with the inverted vee from the ribbon to the "F" in OF? Is that on the coin or on the holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2998 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The V on reverse is toning and continues down onto the wing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive toning, nice luster, and original surfaces. I don't see any wear, but the toning may be obscuring some marks. From the scattered marks I do see on the obverse, I'd say MS-63, possibly 64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5511 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like luster is complete on the reverse but seems dull in the right obverse field. Shield detail seems weak and there is either light wear or strike weakness on the center tail feather. Toning looks original and somewhat positive for eye appeal. Could be a very choice AU-58, or else MS-63 minimum. Nice example.
Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Images are not good enough to grade properly.
However I'll go with 58 or maybe 61.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39403 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering if anyone knows what percentage CAC gives PCGS and NGS and ANACS on being correct with their assessment?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58113 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't be surprised if the eye appeal pushes this to 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7821 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin. I see a small hit on the nose and a few hits on the cheek. That limits it to 63 for me and if there is rub hiding in the dark toning spots, then 58. There is some strange toning, for example the neck of liberty shows toning in the shape of a rectangular band aid or ribbon strip. The cheek of liberty is also toned black. In the reverse only the top of the right wing is toned black along with the head of the eagle. This makes me think it may have been rubbed, but better pics would be more telling. The bright edge toning is attractive while the black toning in the devices is less so.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 green bean
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Throw me into the AU58-MS63 group, depending on what that toning may or may not be hiding.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in at AU-58
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2041 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning has a likely explanation. I remember seeing many coins in the old Kraft 2x2 envelopes, with folded pieces of cotton gauze on each side to prevent the coins from contacting the high-sulfur content paper. The shape on the neck and the vee on the reverse suggest cotton buffers and Kraft storage. Max Mehl sold countless coins that way. Many dealers did this back in the day. The result can be spectacular toning.

With a scratch ruled out for the reverse vee, this is a great coin. There are a few small contact marks and a light cheek scratch on the obverse. I'm at MS-64 obverse. The reverse looks old school Gem, MS-65. That would net to MS-64+, before any eye appeal adjustment. Add me to the MS-65 parade.

Beauty. This one would catch an eye on a bourse floor.

I tried to see evidence of circulation, but I can't find it. This absolutely has the feel of an album coin. I'd love to know the pedigree, if it is available.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in at MS-64 for this one. Lovely coin! Please don't be an AU lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7216 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be the kill joy. To me I would almost want to cry if I had put away an original MS coin like this in an album only to find it tarnished years later.

Having said that, I understand some people like toning. So ignore the above comment if you do and keep enjoying your hobby the way YOU like it.

My guess is 64.

The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
o me I would almost want to cry if I had put away an original MS coin like this in an album only to find it tarnished years later.

this is why I avoid toned coins. over time the chances they look worse is much higher than those that look better. several nicely toned coins I have over the years are black and eye appeal is not there anymore.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05